Working in Germany for 1-2 years

U

Unregistered

I have just moved to Germany and I will be here for 1-2 years.
I am contributing as per the German system- Pension, unemployment insurance etc.
When I return to Ireland, what are my options to retain the contributions? Can I simply transfer the pension? or could I cash in the contributions?
Can I transfer the equivalent of PRSI?

I would appreciate your advice.

Hi,

I just returned after a number of years there, 6 to be precise, I only paid the minimum state pension, and I just recieved a letter to say what I owuld be recieving exvery week once I retire. However I think under German law if you live there under 5 years you take the cash.

Due to the demographics in Germany (growing population of old people) the state pensions are becoming more expensive for young people and less payment for people recieving pensions. This is most likely to increase. So I found that people are not really depending on what they recieve from the state, they are al bumping up private pensions.

I would recommend you get on to your HR department, if you have one, and meet with them to discuss these details.
Darragh

On the general issue of moving from abroad to Ireland these links might be of interest:</p>
  • [broken link removed]

Back