Working Abroad for remainder for this year

?guy

Hello AAMers

I've a question in regards my personal tax situation. if anyone can help !!.

My Company has asked me to travel to their other plant in America on Business Travel for a period of 6 and half months starting from mid June (This year) till start of Jan 2007, I would be living in U.S. but would be getting paid in Euro's into my Irish bank account as normal.

Can anyone advise what this means for in terms of paying tax for the rest of the year or tax breaks ?.

Also a friend of mine mentioned that because I'm going to be out of the country for such an extended period of time, that i might be eligible to purchase products in Ireland Tax free, he explicitly mentioned a Garda friend of his, that was travelling abroad with the force and before he left he purchased a car tax free (because he was going to be out of the country for over 6 months) which he put into storage until he returned ?. Does anyone know if this is true ?. It sounds a bit iffy...

Also any additional information you can think of surrounding this situation in regards tax breaks or relief would be really appreciated.

Many Thanks

There used to a loophole whereby if you were employed in Ireland but your company had to send you abroad, if the period was greater than 90 days in one tax year or something like 120 over 2 tax years (blocks less than 14 days weren't considered), then you could claim all tax back for the period in which you were out of the country.

However, this was discontinued 2/3 years ago.

Back