Work at least one day for getting jobseeker benefit?

G

groland

Hi there,
I am French and would like to live and work in Ireland.
I'm getting jobseeker benefit in France at the moment and I would like to continue getting that benefit in Ireland while I'm looking for a job.
I heard I can transfer my benefit during 3 months. But I am not interested in that transfer because what I want is working and living in Ireland for more than a short while.
I heard that if I work at least one day in Ireland, I will be able to claim for irish jobseeker benefit. Is that true? If that is, where can I find the legal text or convention stipulating that.
Thank you very much.
Laura

Hi there, I can tell you it is very difficult to get work at the moment. So you could be a while looking for work...Ireland is expensive to live in too.

Thank you for your answers but I actually am already living in Ireland, have a habitual residence and a PPS number.

Hi there,
I am French and would like to live and work in Ireland.
I'm getting jobseeker benefit in France at the moment and I would like to continue getting that benefit in Ireland while I'm looking for a job.

Really, your comments immediately above don't tally with your original post???! How come you would like to live in Ireland if you already live here.

Sorry, you are right. I'll try to make it clearer.
I am right now in France for getting some documents but I have moved officially (legal adress) to Ireland 2 weeks ago.
And I am coming back to Ireland in a few days.

Thank you for your answers but I actually am already living in Ireland, have a habitual residence and a PPS number.

How are you claiming French jobseekers if you are living in Ireland - because clearly you are not seeking a job, in France?

I came first to Ireland for doing a voluntary work with children with special needs.
Since I was not paid for that job, I managed to maintain my french jobseeker benefit.

I came first to Ireland for doing a voluntary work with children with special needs.
Since I was not paid for that job, I managed to maintain my french jobseeker benefit.

I dont know how it works in france, but in ireland, if you are doing voluntary work you are not 'available' for paid work, therefore not eligible for jobseekers.

In your case also I think you would have to be in the country for 2 years.

Probably the best thing would be for you to bring all your relevant paperwork (pps etc..) to your local Citizens Advice office and speak to them about what you may be entitled to.

You are right, I think it is the best thing to do.
Thanks for your answer truthseeker.

Back