work and rent allowance?supplement

L

lize14

can someone give me advice please? working 2 days a week, and am claiming JB for days im not working, this is due to expire soon so ive been asked to fill out a form to see if im entitled to JA when JB is up. I work 2 days and get 185 euro for this. i have a little girl 20 months old and we live with my parents, however i feel like we really need to find a place of our own, sharing a room with her now is turning out to be a nightmare! but i dont know if i can afford it. certaintly not on 185 euro, would i qualify for rent allowance if we did move out? say along with my wages for my 2 days work, if i did qualify for some bit of JA, would i qualify for rent allowance/supplement too or nothing if i work. afraid to do anything about moving out until i know what im entitled to and end up not being able to support my girl properly

As you are not already in rented accommodation, you will need to be assessed by your local authority as in need of housing before you can receive rent supplement. If you want to do this, apply to your local authority immediately to be assessed.

Getting 185 Euro from work will reduce any Jobseekers Allowance payment by approx 75 Euro. You did not mention if you were in a relationship or your age, but assuming you are single and 25 or over, and have just the one child (and no other income or savings/capital) then you would receive approx 142.80 Jobseekers, plus the 185 income from work, which would give you a combined income of 327.80

Because of your income, any rent supplement will be reduced by approximately 28 Euro. There is also a minimum contribution to rent that you have to pay which is 24 Euro a week, so basically you would be expected to pay the first 52 Euro a week of any rent.

If you are single, then you should consider applying for One Parent Family Payment rather than Jobseekers. You would lose less of your social welfare payment, but would lose more off any rent supplement. If you are a lone parent, please confirm and i can do the sums.

Back