work and Disability Allowance

brockdish40

Hi any help with the following will be much appreciated. I am currently on Disability Allowance and my spouse is seeking work. She has a possible chance for a job, how will this affect my Allowance payment ?. The amount she could earn will be €100 per week. Thanks in advance.

From SW:-

Income from spouse's, civil partner's or cohabitant's work

If your spouse, civil partner or cohabitant works it can affect your Disability Allowance.
Since 26 September 2007, your spouse, civil partner or cohabitant's weekly earnings are assessed as follows:
Weekly earnings are gross earnings less PRSI, superannuation and union dues.
€20 per day (up to a maximum of €60) from work is deducted from your spouse, civil partner or cohabitant's average weekly earnings and then 60% of the balance is assessed as weekly means. The weekly means is then deducted from the combined total of your personal rate of Disability Allowance and the maximum Increase for a Qualified Adult and any Increases for Qualified Children (if applicable).

I think the above is not very clear but I'm trying to translate it to suit your situation as follows. If your wife earned €100 over 3 days the first €60 would be disregarded + 60% of the remaining €40, leaving a total disregard of €84. Final result, weekly means assessed €16.
I

Black Sheep,

I think your figures are slightly out: 60% of the balance (after deducting the first 60 euro) is assessed as means, not disregarded.

So for €100 earnings over 3 days, the means will be 24 euro pw (60% of €40).

This figure (24 euro) is then subtracted from the current rate of payment of Disability Allowance.

Thankyou

Thankyou Black Sheep and Gipimann, for your help. This lets us know where we are with budgets etc. This is a great site for help. :)

Yes of course gipimann you are absolutely correct, and apologies Brockdish for complicating the situation even more

It confuses me all the time, BlackSheep - I have to read and read again when disregards are involved!!

Back