Wooden Floor Solid or Semi Solid

callaghanj

Got a quote of 30 euro a sqm to supply and fit a solid oak floor(s). However I am now being told by friends not to fit a solid floor that it will give too many probs rising warping etc. Dont have ufh by the way. There will be a stove in the living room. The floors are well dried out tho. Anyone got any first hand experiences to recount?? Thanks

Hi CJ. I recently put down a wooden floor and I went for a laminate floor from B&Q. (Not sure if there's one near you but you'll find them online). It looks exactly the same as a semi solid floor but it has a 20 year guarantee and cost about €19 per sq/m for the timber only. It really does what it says on the tin! You'll also have to put a waterproof membrane etc. under it but that's quite cheap. PM me if I can be of further assistance. :)

P.S. I went for the AquaLoc+. Had to because it's partly kitchen and Aqualoc+ is more or less waterproof.

Got a quote of 30 euro a sqm to supply and fit a solid oak floor(s). However I am now being told by friends not to fit a solid floor that it will give too many probs rising warping etc.

There should be absolutely no problem with properly sourced and fitted solid timber floors - we have them for ten years and they are still perfect. Solid floors are the real McCoy and are a world apart from laminate and semi solid - personally think laminate floors are like lino. Compare the different floor types in any decent store and you'll see the difference - ultimately you pay for what you get !

There should be absolutely no problem with properly sourced and fitted solid timber floors - we have them for ten years and they are still perfect. Solid floors are the real McCoy and are a world apart from laminate and semi solid - personally think laminate floors are like lino. Compare the different floor types in any decent store and you'll see the difference - ultimately you pay for what you get !

There is a new laminate called Quick-Step which imho looks as good if not better than semi-solid or solid. It's also much harder wearing and less noisy in many respects (solid floors usually laid on hollow joists). It's extremely easy to lay quick step but its not too cheap.

I put solid oak down in my living areas about 5 years ago and I've had no issue with them whatsoever. If they are laid properly and acclimatised in your house for at least a week, then you will have no problems with warping. Personally I wouldn't go near laminate/semi-solid - I know they're hard wearing/practical etc., but the solid floor looks 100% better. IMHO!

hi
just to let you know solid oak will be perfectley fine.

step one when you buy climitise the wood by leaving it in open packs for at least a week with your heating in normal mode or on timer.

2 if you have concreat floors make sure it is glued down with the proper glue for this about €65- €75 + vat per 5lit.

make sure you put floor down on clean surface you may need a industrial vax.

leave plenty of expansion at skirting orunder presses if in kitchen.

and lastley €30.00 pre sq met is a good price.

regards

There is a new laminate called Quick-Step which imho looks as good if not better than semi-solid or solid.

I suppose it's a matter of personal taste really - personally have yet to see a laminate floor that doesn't look plasticy/tacky.

It's also much harder wearing and less noisy in many respects (solid floors usually laid on hollow joists). It's extremely easy to lay quick step but its not too cheap.

Can't for the life of me see how a 9.5mm laminate board is harder wearing than a 22mm solid board. A solid floor gives you the option of re sanding and varnishing/waxing if it does show wear over the years. Solid timber floors laid on high density chipboard laid on solid battens ( as our floors are) make virtually no noise.
In any event the op doesn't seem to be concerned about aesthetics/ noise but about the floors rising/warping. Done right you will not have these problems with solid floors.

Does anyone care about the Oak trees that are knocked to make these floors ? Beautiful oak trees that take many decades to mature.

I had a very problematic floor. Very uneven, slightly too much moisture in it... Got a professional to fit solid oak floor three years ago, and so far no major problems. There's one or two gaps that have widened the tiniest bit, but that's normal. Must say though, none of the places that sell the timber plus fitting would have fitted it - the price quoted assumes that your floor is perfectly even and needs absolutely nothing doing to it prior to fitting the floor. Mine isn't glued by the way, it's got some type of chipboard underneath (and plastic membrane under that).

sorry folks, there is no way that a laminate floor (no matter what brand) looks better than a proper solid wooden floor. You would always know the difference.....it is the flaws that make it real.

I have solid wood flooring downstairs, down 2 years €90 sq yrd fitted....it is absolutely beautiful.

I have laminate upstairs in 2 bedrooms and it is fine...looks good....... I tried to get something similar....it worked out about €30 per yrd fitted, but there is no way on earth that you would mix up the 2.

If you are buying wood at the €30 per yrd range, it might not be great and laminate could look better.

I have semi solid walnut, or as they call it 'engineered' solid. Cost a lot, more than many solids, but I'm really happy with it.

Looks great, few scratches here and there, but sure that's life!

Got quote of 30 euro in Derry incl fitting. Got quote for same floor in Letterkenny of 50 euro plus fitting fee of 20 euro sqm. Quality is not an issue and laminate is no comparison I'm have to say. The only issue is will I have more problems with warping but as i dont have UFh I think the answer is no. Thanks for all the comments.

Back