Witnessed employee being diciplined & forced to resign in public fastfood restaruant.

Re: Witnessed weird practice in well known fast food chain

Got a reply offering me €30 in vouchers....

I won't be eating there again though so cash would have been better!

I am horrified my this and how this could happen. A good idea Sandrat maybe to highlight this incident to the people who run best places to work in Ireland, i am aware that this company are listed very highly in the top places to work. I cannot understand coming from a HR background how this would be allowed to happen. I know we are not aware of the ins and outs of the situation however I think the whole way it was handled reflects very badly on the company and manager involved.

I had a similar experience in a well known Irish restaurant chain in Cork in an open shopping centre. The employee was being disciplined on the next table with the supervisor and a representative of the company clearly within hearing range. Not a great example of employee relations.

Write to the ceo and say you are going to the press and you will get a lot more vouchers. It was obvious why it was held in public, put more pressure on the employee to comply. Asking them to write letter is CONSTRUCTIVE DISMISSAL and they can sue.

What an appalling vista.

no---

I have come across this type of management on several occasions:-

I have heard employees berated by 'management' (baseball-cap-wearing-chewing-gum-thicko) for lack of performance during a very busy time. The employee was told that she was an underperforming leech who was letting her colleagues do her work.

This is not unusual in the fast-food business. And have a look at the promotion situation in these dumps. They promote real under performing employees (to get them out of the way of people who work) and of course the other stupid performers are supposed to feel that they must perform even more. The phrase Beggars on Horseback comes to mind or worse again Flogging the Willing Horse.

Finally received a response

Dear xxxxx,
I received your complaint of yesterday and have discussed the matter
with the relevant parties. This meeting was held to review an incident
from last week and during the meeting the crew person decided to resign
her position.
Despite the lack of suitable office space for such meetings I accept
your point that the lobby area is not an ideal place and we will
certainly review this.
I apologise if you feel your evening with us was ruined. It is certainly
not our intention to make anyone feel uncomfortable.
Yours sincerely

xxxxx

Translation: get lost and MYOB, and it may look like we care what you think, but actually we don't.

i would defo follow tis up again.

I personally wouldn't get involved. This incident is none of our business and none of us know the full story. Overhearing a bit of a conversation about something which had absolutely nothing to do with us and then making a complaint about it seems a bit absurd.

The meeting should not have been held in public..... No respect what so ever show there, by doing that. the Manager should have been rep-remanded for doing that.

The meeting should not have been held in public..... No respect what so ever show there, by doing that. the Manager should have been rep-remanded for doing that.

I agree that these meetings shouldn't be held in a public area but the lack of proper accomdation isn't the managers fault.

I agree that these meetings shouldn't be held in a public area but the lack of proper accomdation isn't the managers fault.
I know a lot of retail units including restaurants don't like to have offices in the back, as managers or staff will tend to 'hide' in the offices when they should be out on the floor with customers.

this place has a cash office because the manager and her witness went off to have a meeting in there after the meeting with the former employee ended

I asked the manager when she was finished if did she not have an office and she told me that was a major bone of contention with her becuse she only had a cash office and there wasn't even room for two people to stand in it at once.

I think the point is that there was an office but only two people could fit in it!

Having a meeting like this standing up would be worse imo, the cash office only has room for two right? While I said think the manager shouldn't be disciplined for the lack of office accomdation, the employer can state that these types of meetings must be held at the start or end of a day when there are no customers around. That said I have no doubt that the meeting was held in this manner so as to get this knee jerk response.

I have been an eating area etc for staff in the back of McDs. If you told us which one, we may be able to find the building plans on the local coco's website.

I find this thread really bizarre.

You ruined your fast food meal by listening in on someone elses conversation, which you only sort of half heard.
You complained.
They offered you €30.
You think this is unacceptable.

Maybe I am weird, but I think life is too short for this sort of petty nonsense.

A colleague of mine in work used to work as a duty manager in a nearby town and the franchise was owned by this same manager (she recognised the name of the email)

I think there is more to this story than meets the eye?

Back