Withdrew €20,000 from my Irish Nationwide A/C : Wasn't even asked for ID

Lorcan02

Recently I went into an Irish Nationwide in Dublin as I wanted to withdraw my €20,000 which I had been patiently waiting on the demutialisation for (gave up on that Idea !) .. Anyway - I went into A branch (not even where I'd opened the account in the first place) armed with my lodgement book - which hadn't be updated since I opened the account in 2004 -the girl updated the book and I was given a cheque for the 20grand. I was asked who I wanted the cheque made out to .. and off I went with my cheque in hand - and was NEVER even asked for ID !! So please be carefull with those lodgement books .. I could have found that book on the ground for all that lassie cared .. very very bad .. could not believe it !

Re: Wasn't even asked for ID

If you haven't pointed this out to the branch manager then you should do so.

It may be entirely possible that the teller was able to see photographic I.D. of you on the system when entering your account code. The teller may also have been able to then match your signature with the one that you used to open the account with.

I had a similar experience recently, I was able to close a savings account in a different branch of NIB to where the account was held, I had my account number written on a piece of paper which I showed the lady, I had my driving licence and credit card in my pocket, but no I.D. was asked for, a cheque was printed, I signed for it and off I went.

I was not known to the lady on the counter. I had once last year made a smaller withdrawal at this branch when I was asked for I.D. which they photocopied.

Agree with Damien85 she must have had my picture and signature on her screen from the previous withdrawal.

That is the most likely answer.

Regulation insists that these financial institutions hold the following photocopied records of each customer;

Proof of address

Proof of PPS Number

Photographic Identification

While it probably would have been no harm for the teller to ask for I.D. just to cover her own back, it is likely she was happy enough with all the details. I would imagine tellers get a lot of petty complaining when they do ask customers for ID, and seeing as you were withdrawing €20k which would be a big amount for a day to day teller, it is likely she didn't want to upset you if in fact she had all the details she needed.

Last edited:

No, there was no possibility that she had a photo of me on the system. The account was opened through a broker (publican) - I had never given a photo. I had given proof of my address at the time - but have moved since. The account hadn't been touched since 2004 - nothing added - nothing taken away !

Lorcan02,
Be honest.... your really Fingers Fingleton (or perhaps the son)? Such rules dont apply is you "own" the Building (sic) Society.

I work for BOI and I'm flabbergasted !
Think the poor old workers in Irish Nationwide must have given up at this stage.

By the way though, the only thing you can do with a cheque payable to you is to lodge it in your a/c. Wouldn't be much good to you if you were someone else.

Last edited:
Well that was sort of my point too - she asked me who I wanted the cheque make payable to !!

Maybe she dealt with you before (she could have worked in the account-holding branch) and remembered you?

On my last day working in a branch I went back on the counter for old times sake. A man came in with a savings book, withdrew Euro 100 and immediately berated me for not asking him for identification. I pointed to the opening transaction in the book (made eight years beforehand) and said 'see that entry. that's my writing. I opened your account for you. You were with a woman with a Welsh accent'.

He looked shocked and said he had no recollection of who he had dealt with on that first day.

Some of us do have good memories. I remember hundreds of customers. That man only had to remember a few bank officials and he couldn't even do that.

I am falling around laughing here as I read the above as "you were a woman with a Welsh accent"

Now that would have been good memeory recall. Guess I ll just have to cut back on the speed reading.:D

I am falling around laughing here as I read the above as "you were a woman with a Welsh accent"

Now that would have been good memeory recall. Guess I ll just have to cut back on the speed reading.:D

Same here!!:eek:

Back