Withdrawn Voluntary Redundancy offer

Omega

I have a letter from the Company stating "...your application for V.R. has been accepted. Your departure date will be 31 July 2007 and conditional on completion of Project X by 31 July 2007..." The situation is that the project will not be completed by that date and the Company wants to withdraw the offer. Are they justified in doing so or have they agreed in principle to the redundancy? They never checked whether the date was realistic in the first place but now something else has changed and they want to use the date issue to get out of the situation. Any advice?:confused:

Last edited:
My reading of the Company's statement is that the date of departure is conditional but not the departure itself. I've e-mailed ENTEMP and am awaiting their comments.

Are they withdrawing or deferring the offer? Is there any doubt about what isw meant by 'completion of the project', i.e. are the completion criteria agreed and defined?

They are withdrawing the offer. The project will probably take 9-12 months to complete but because the arbitrary date of 31 July will not be met, they are using this as an excuse to get out of the offer. This date was never agreed with anyone but was merely plucked out of the air when they agreed to the redundancy in the first place. It was a notional target date - not something on which the offer itself depended. The wording of the letter would seem to support this in that it states that the departure date (not the departure itself) is dependant on the project being completed.:(

Hi All,

The endgame may be approaching on this matter and I want to consult a solicitor in the Limerick area who deals with employment-related issues. Any suggestions? Many Thanks.

I thought once you got your letter giving you your finishing date then it is only by your agreement that the date could be changed. (in or out) However reading the post, the letter and date you recieved was conditional on x and y, then in effect the company has covered itself and the letter is not a true letter of your finishing date. It is an indication only or a communication letter of your possible completion date. When you say "they are withdrawing the offer" I take that to mean you will not be made redundant on 31/7/07 but at some unspecified later date. Not that the offer is off the table all together ??

They want to withdraw the "offer" altogether, arguing that because the original date was not achieved, all the bets are off. My interpretation is that the date is conditional but not the redundancy itself... That's why I need a legal opinion...Thanks

Back