Withdrawing money from PRSA

jdpl28

Hi,

I have a PRSA, set it up a number of years ago. But the total value of the fund is down 40 compared to what I've contributed. Would I be able to withdraw all this money without having to pay any tax back? - I've always payed into it on my top rate of tax.

If not, how would I go about withdrawing the money anyway?

thanks,
J

Good question. My wife in a similar situation and would like to know the answer. I have read the conditions etc but cannot find any reference to withdrawal. Intend ringing the institution on Monday.

To the best of my knowledge, it is not possible to withdraw money from a PRSA or any pension. The money is for your retirement.

Complainer is correct. You cannot withdraw monies from a PRSA until retirement, which can be from age 60 onwards, age 50 if you are retiring from employment altogether or earlier in cases of serious ill-health.

Having seen your fund value drop, I'm not convinced that it's necessarily the correct course of action to withdraw it and thus exclude yourself from any possible recovery. Equity-based pension funds go down as well as up always. However, you'd need to take professional advice with regard to your specific circumstances before proceeding.

Back