With Visa Debit is a credit card needed?

Frank

I not that the gov stamp duty of €30 has been taken from my visa card.

Daylight robbery.

My question seeing as my laser card is now a visa debit card.
Do I need a Visa card at all. Just seems like a way to attract charges and taxes.

Maybe I am missing some advantage other than the short term credit.

There's also the option of a cashback card like AIB's [broken link removed], which "earns" you 0.5% cashback on purchase spends (first €5K excluded, maximum of €50K) over a 12 month period. So if you spend €25K a year on it you get back €100, which more than cancels out the duty. However, it has higher interest rates, so it's not ideal if you don't always clear your balance in full.

Also, if you travel in France or the USA (they're the specific instances I have experienced), many retail/catering outlets will not accept Visa Debit card.

Another advantage is that you can get significant Tesco vouchers with a Tesco Credit Card. Normally more than covers the 30 EUR government fee.

Also, if you travel in France or the USA (they're the specific instances I have experienced), many retail/catering outlets will not accept Visa Debit card.

I'm French - never got an issue with my Irish Visa Debit card in France. Most people have Visa or Mastercard debit card in France also.

Back