Will revenue challenge debt ?

marymary2

I spent nearly 90k most of it in cash to pay for carers & household expenses for both my parents over 6 years. There is a written agreement with my siblings including executors on this and with my Dad for this to be repaid as a debt . My mother did not have capacity to sign. My question is will revenue allow this as a debt on the estate without having receipts?

Last edited:
In my experience, it's not Revenue who will look for receipts but the Probate Office.

Who is doing probate application (SA2) for you?

Your siblings could all give you €22.5K each after the estate has been sorted as an alternative. Then all you need to do is deal with them rather than produce receipts for €90K. The executor could not pay this debt from the estate without sone written proof of the expenditure.

Thanks Danny boy. A solicitor is doing it for us. Clamball I'm told the Cat limit is overall rather than per sibling so I'll get taxed as only have 10k left due to previous gifts. Do you know what kind of written evidence is normally needed?

A solicitor is doing it for us.

And what does the solicitor advise?

If a solicitor is the Executor, then they will decide what is needed to satisfy the Probate Office.

There is a written agreement with my siblings including executors on this and with my Dad for this to be repaid as a debt .

That sounds to me to be good enough.

If you were paying carers salaries via cash, Revenue might be interested.

Brendan

Back