Will Becoming A Company Director Affect Pay From Work And/Or Social Welfare Benefits?

Phaedrus

Hi.

MODS: If you think this post belongs in a different forum, please do what you gotta do.

I'm currently on a casual work scheme, where I submit weekly slips to my local social welfare office, stating whether or not I've worked in the week.

I've recently been getting some work, paying tax & PRSI, and thankfully it seems this work will be picking up in the new year, to the point where it will practically become full-time.

I also have a hobby that has to this point provided me with what I'd barely class as pocket money: currently €100 - €200 a month. Before anyone starts crying "Social Welfare Fraud!" (I'm sure there are those who would, even over €25-€50 a week), please read on.

There are 4 other people involved in this hobby, and we've recently decided to take it more seriously and earn more money from it (though it's extremely unlikely to ever become a dependable, predictable income source), so have taken steps to register with the CRO (with all 4 of us as equal company directors, with equal shares of operational costs, and equal shares of returns/profits), get VAT registered, and open a business bank account.

We need to be a registered business, as where we were taking cash up to this point, we'll soon be in a position where more frequently we can only be paid by business cheque.

All hunky-dory, but my understanding of the tax implications for us as a business, and for me as an individual, is minimal. One of the guys is a pretty canny businessman already, so maybe it's not an issue if I don't understand it all, though I'd still like to.

If it got to the point where I was netting more like €1000+ a month, what would the implications be for me?

What factors do I need to be aware of before I commit fully to this course of action? For example, can I remain on the casual work scheme with the social welfare if I have more than one employer?

Can anyone point me to where I can get more info on this stuff?

Thanks for any replies,

Mark

150 views and no comment? Have I offended you guys? ;)
Anyone? Even point me to where I could get some info?

Thanks,

Mark

Are you on JB or JA? (JA is means-tested)

If you are on JB then I believe there are business set-up schemes available which could continue your payment for a period until the business takes off. I gather you have to be signing on for a certain period before you are eligible, check welfare.ie or the sticky posts here.

If you are on JA then the income you make from your venture will count as means and may reduce your payment.

I don't think the number of employers would have any affect on your payment.

Check out welfare.ie and then talk to your welfare office to get specifics.

Sybil

Back