wife not employed since 1969, total of 242 prsi contribitions, coap?

wok20

My wife has not been employed since we married in 1969, she has a total of 242 prsi contributions and will reach pension age two years ahead of me.

I have a company pension of approx €27,000 and it is our only income.

Would she qualify for a pension on her own right

Bad news. She would need at least 500 contributions to qualify for the lowest rate (half) of Contributory Pension, that is unless either of you have contributions in the UK, perhaps in your youth?

Hi black sheep thanks for yuore reply,i was thinking she may not get anything but i was trying to make sure if it was worth applying. would you know if i am reading this right as to when i will reach pension age which will in my case be at age 66 as i was born in 1949 and transition will be abolished,I can then claim for my wife as a dependent adult

As you will be 65 in 2014 you will just miss out on Transition Pension. It ceases to be payable after 31/12/2013.

You should be eligible for your Contributory State Pension in 2015 with a seperate Qualified Adult payment for your wife assuming she is your dependant.

thank you for that info.that was my understanding on reading up on it but needed second opinion

Is this right?

500 contributions, 12 per year = 41 years.
I think the contributions are weekly not monthly:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/e...people/state_pension_contributory.html#l1f4da

If you reach pension age on or after April 6 2012, you will need to have 520 paid contributions (10 years paid contributions). In this case, not more than 260 of the 520 contributions may be voluntary contributions. However, if you were a voluntary contributor on or before April 6 1997 and you have a yearly average of 10 contributions, you may meet the requirement if you have a total of 520 contributions, but only 156 need to be compulsory paid contributions.

Ok, so where you are paid monthly and there is one lot of PRSI taken from your salary per month, ie, 12 times a year, it is actually 52 payments per year rather than 12. Is that right?

That's my understanding - i.e. that PRSI contributions are weekly and they have some pro rata way of accounting for (calendar) monthly payment of salary/contributions. In the past the contributions were literally stamps stuck onto a card on a weekly basis. I have a dim memory of older siblings' PRSI stamp cards c. the 70s. :) I'm sure that the SW website explains in more detail but it seems to be down at the moment for some reason. CitizensInformation doesn't seem to go into too much detail on the monthly mechanics.

this is probably of no help but my mum used get something called non contributary pension because she obviously didn't have enough stamps to qualify for the contributary one. things may have changed now but its a long shot . good luck!!

Yes indeed PRSI contributions are paid weekly (regardless of whether you are pad weekly or monthly) as in 52 for every full year worked.

BTW I'm sure all of you check this section of your P60 every year to make sure your PRSI has been correctly recorded. Especially if you change jobs or are out of work for a time that's the time to double check and retain the proof.

It is unlikely that the OP's wife would be entitled to a Non- Contributory Pension as it is means tested on the total household income, and it appears to be above the threshold. If in doubt always apply

Clubman: You're older than you think. Stamps haven't been stuck on cards since the fifties

Back