Who is responsible for maintaining a right of way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stargirl01

I have the last house in a row of houses with access to the rear via an unpaved muddy right of way. Who is responsible for the maintenance of the right of way?

I hope to put gravel etc. down to make it possible to drive my car down the laneway as I have no parking to the front of the house. A number of other vehicles use it, but they all have 4 wheel drive and rear wheel drive, hence the laneway is a muddy mess, and my little car will only make it on a lovely dry Irish summers week. (Hence very seldom) I am willing to cover the cost myself although I will try and ask the other residents to share the cost.

• Is the corporation responsible for their maintenance? (It is in Dublin)
  • Could I get into trouble for dumping even though it will be purchased gravel?
  • If someone injures themselves due to the gravel, is it my responsibility?

Cheers

Why do you describe the lane as a " right of way?"

Is this lane accessible from both ends or is it a cul de sac?

Do you park in the lane or do you drive into your back garden from it.

Is there any garden / yard to the front to the house (convertible to parking space)?

The lane is only accessible from one end and was once a mass path, which is wide enough for cars. There is only private properties off the lane.
There is no where to the front of the house to put a parking space, (on a blind corner with double yellow lines). I currently park on the street down the road, but this is being put into paid parking and I am not entitled to get a disk for this area. (There is another similar street, so currently I can park there but every busy street in Dublin appears to be moving towards permit parking)
I am renovating the garden and hope to put a parking space in the garden. When I do use it at the moment (which is seldom) I just park on the lane, as no one can go further than my house hence not obstructing anyone.
As I stated already a number of the other houses do use the lane to access their rear gardens for parking, and if I purchase a SUV or 4wd I would be able to also, but I have no need for a large car.

Mathepac, I do not know who owns the lane and have been planning on checking with land registry but have yet to

When I do use it at the moment (which is seldom) I just park on the lane, as no one can go further than my house hence not obstructing anyone.
As I stated already a number of the other houses do use the lane to access their rear gardens for parking, and if I purchase a SUV or 4wd I would be able to also, but I have no need for a large car.

Is that a contradiction ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back