who is responsible for fire safety inspections

R3alEstate

Hi, I live in an apartment block.

Who is responsible for the fire safety inspections? How often those should happen? I don't know if the fire door to my apartment is compliant and nobody has ever shown up to do an inspection.

Thank you

Correct.

"The primary piece of legislation in relation to fire safety is the Fire Services Act 1981 and 2003. Section 18(2) places several duties on persons having control over a premises including, to take all reasonable measures to guard against the outbreak of fire, provide reasonable fire safety measures and procedures and to ensure as far as is reasonably practicable the safety of persons on the premises in the event of an outbreak of fire. An Owners Management Company (OMC) is generally the legal entity in control of a multi-unit development. The Board of Directors of the OMC should therefore be aware of their important responsibilities in this regard. Further legal advice should be sought if in any doubt.
Under Section 19 of the Act, a building can be considered as ‘potentially dangerous’ under a number of headings including, for example, if it has inadequate or no provisions are in place with regard to a range of fire safety measures including:
  • Automatic detection and warning of fire (fire alarm)
  • Emergency Lighting
  • Fire protection of escape routes and structure
  • AOVs (Automatic Opening Vents in multi storey buildings)
  • Fire compartmentation of the building
  • Access for fire brigade
  • A range of other matters"
Download link: https://scsi.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/SCSI-Fire-Safety-Guide-for-OMCs.pdf

Thank you both. The door in my flat has a lock that I think has been retrofitted by the previous owner. That could make it less secure but I don't know, I don't understand these things, so the OMC should do regular inspections and if they tell me I need to do something I do.
I don't think, based on what you said, that I can arrange an inspection on my own.

Can I suggest that you take an active interest in your OMC, perhaps even go forward as a director, so that you can satisfy yourself that all is well

Are you renting in the apartment or an owner?
If you are an owner you should make a point to attend the OMC AGM which is a good forum to raise these points.

My experience with apartments is that the OMC may be pressed into this at some point by their block insurer or should they change insurer, it is likely the insurer will conduct a fire audit of the complex.

If you have no luck getting the OMC to do an inspection this can be raised elsewhere. If it is rented accommodation the local authorities have a role in inspections, perhaps raise with your local fire service as well as fire officers can carry out inspections of buildings.

yes I'm an owner, just not knowledgeable in this matters. Becoming a director is not an option due to a number of factors.

I know they do check the smoke alarms and the alarm panel, but no one has ever asked to check my front door, and the additional locks are well visible.

My main concern at this moment, apart if the door is compromised and can't stand the 30 minutes, is if the insurance company could refuse to pay a claim should the worst happen and I will be considered responsible for that rather than the OMC which is not doing the inspections.

yes I'm an owner, just not knowledgeable in this matters. Becoming a director is not an option due to a number of factors.

I know they do check the smoke alarms and the alarm panel, but no one has ever asked to check my front door, and the additional locks are well visible.

My main concern at this moment, apart if the door is compromised and can't stand the 30 minutes, is if the insurance company could refuse to pay a claim should the worst happen and I will be considered responsible for that rather than the OMC which is not doing the inspections.
is your front door part of the OMC's remit or your own? If its not part of the common area then its nothing to do with them.

is your front door part of the OMC's remit or your own? If its not part of the common area then its nothing to do with them.
It may well be the OMC business. Here is an extract from a report after a fire inspection where I live

It had been noted during the course of inspection that a number of apartment entrance doors had been
provided with additional key lock mechanisms in additional to the original key lock device installed
within the door.
It should be noted that the original key lock installation within the apartment fire door adhered to the
requirements of Section 1.4.3.2 of Technical Guidance Document B in that;
“ In general, doors on escape routes, whether or not the doors are fire doors, should either not be fitted
with lock, latch or bolt fastenings, or they should only be fitted with simple fastenings that can be readily
operated in the direction of escape without the use of a key.”
The original installation comprised a simple thumbturn device on the inner apartment door side whilst
the door could only be key locked from the outside. This implies that the door cannot be unintentional
locked if someone has to evacuate the apartment in a hurry thus allowing the fire brigade easy access to
the unit in an emergency. The provision of additional self locking mechanisms will hamper and delay
such access in an emergency.
The introduction of an additional mortice type locks to the fire door installations is not permitted under
current fire safety legislation and all apartment identified in the schedule attached should be contacted
and instructed to remove the additional mortice type locking mechanisms

It may well be the OMC business. Here is an extract from a report after a fire inspection where I live
ok, in theory then it should be them to do the inspections and ask me to do the needful.
All the additional locks have thumbturn mechanisms, that should be fine, but the go through the door and maybe that's the problem.
I'm willing to do the right thing but I'm not sure if contacting the management, which never replies to any query, is just going to put me in a difficult situation I can't solve.
Should I contact the fire office directly at this point?
And another question: they talk about removing the locks, isn't that going to leave holes? Shouldn't the door be replaced?

All the additional locks have thumbturn mechanisms, that should be fine, but the go through the door and maybe that's the problem.
All locks have to go through the doors, so another lock going through the door does not generally compromise that door assuming it was fitted correctly. The primary concern regarding additional locks on such doors is that they do not hinder escape in the event of a fire, not that they resist fire for a certain period of time.

If the additional locks have thumb turns there should be no issue.

I see, ok that is helpful, so maybe the fact that I have those additional locks is not a problem as they can be opened without a key from the inside.

Thank you.

I see, ok that is helpful, so maybe the fact that I have those additional locks is not a problem as they can be opened without a key from the inside.

Thank you.
Does your door have a spring mechanism - can it close behind you and lock? Or merely close.

I think that's a major concern ie rushing out the door, door locks behind you. Difficult for fire brigade to gain access to it.

yes there is a closer but the additional locks need to be closed by a key from the outside, otherwise you can still open with the handle.
I don't understand why it's a problem for the fire brigade. If someone is inside and leaves why should they need to gain access? If instead no one is home and we closed the locks, wouldn't they have to break in if they needed to gain access?
Just trying to understand more.

yes there is a closer but the additional locks need to be closed by a key from the outside, otherwise you can still open with the handle.
I don't understand why it's a problem for the fire brigade. If someone is inside and leaves why should they need to gain access? If instead no one is home and we closed the locks, wouldn't they have to break in if they needed to gain access?
Just trying to understand more.
I'm hazarding a guess here but if the place is locked up completely less likely to still be someone in there, and also I imagine less likely for the fire to start there - think of how many fires are from cooking activities.
Whereas if one person dashes out, others may not.

It's probably a side question to your main one though.

true but it's good to get many different point of views.
The main concern for me remains the insurance company. Being super paranoid I'm worried that if there is a fire in any of the apartments the insurance company could refuse a claim because my door is not compliant, even if my apartment is not involved at all.

If in doubt have a competent locksmith check the lock that was fitted to ensure it complies with the relevant standard and was fitted correctly, and get them to put that in writing.

Few people unlock all doors exiting a building in the event of a fire, so the fire brigade are well used to forcing access where required.

Back