Who do you complain to about solicitors in Bulgaria

T

TonyO

Hi all - Does anyone know the contact details for the Bulgarian version of the Law Society , or whoever it is you complain to when you have problems with Bulgarian Solicitors. My Solicitor is refusing to complete the deal because I give them to much trouble.

I dont want to upset anyone but this posting says so much about dealing with property in third world countries. I would be very, very worried if I had bought property in Bulgaria. Its like buying in Central Africa. The systems of control are not in place, crime is rampant and no research is being done.

I don't know but I wonder if you contacted the Irish law society would they be able to give you the contact details? Worth a shot I would have thought.

Just change your solicitor. You will get nowhere compalaining about this guy. Whatever the situation is like with him now it will get 10 times worse after you complain!

It is a "Third World conclusion," to draw it about a country on the basis of a couple of wrotten solicitors (and there we have only the testimony of one person who admits he's given the guy a 'hard time' - God knows how civilized it has been, to reflect in such a response), corrupted officials, etc. As a matter of fact, you would certainly find a larger number of wrongdoing professionals of any and all guilds in the US: shall we then classify America as a Third World country ?

Ivan D.
www.dukaty.com

Bulgaria is a second world country, struggling to migrate from a black economy to a Western economy. In the meantime, UK, Austrian, Irish etc companies are quicker to adapt to the old black economy (eg. bribes to govt) than to apply ethical business rules. This is a significant source of Bulgaria's problems. To answer your question, solicitors in Bulgaria aren't the same as in Ireland. There's very little regulation, and most are glorified 'Notaries' which are just registered with the local municipality. The short answer is you probably won't have much joy with appealing to higher authorities, unless a crime has been committed. Your best be it to try to deal with your solicitor and offer more money on condition that the work he's agreed to is carried out.

To complement AlexB's answer, there are two things I could suggest:

1 If you just want to vent your frustration, simply contact the press or turn to the Ombudsman's office.

2. If you want to have a practical solution, my recommendation to all is: please hire a trustworthy consultant with high moral standards to do the entire job for you in Bulgaria, inclusive of getting you a decent solicitor. Obviously, those, who work locally, eventually do identify honest people to work through the system.

Now, practically, for ethical reasons I can't recommend that you use our services but I can refer you to Rachel Gawith, www.thetravelbug.org, for such help. She is British, operating in the country for quite some time now, and I recon for a reasonable fee you will get the job done. I am certain Rachel will know and work with honest solicitors, so you won’t be overcharged.

Ivan D.
www.dukaty.com

Hey Ivan thanks for the recommendation , but if you read my post as admission I was giving the guy a hard time I might take a pass on that. Asking a solicitor for an explanation of the document they have sent you is both fair and reasonable. Anyhow , The solicitor is now back on line after I contacted the sales company which had recommended them ,all I need now is to get my guaranteed rental re-instated . Thanks all for your advice.

I made an official complaint aganist a solicitor (in Bulgaria) to the panel for complaints for solicitors (local board) and now the git is suing me for defamation! Unbelievable. But stick to your guns. Luckily I have an excellent solicitor here in Bulgaria and can depend on her to sort stuff out and fight for my cause!

How can he sue you for complaining to a body that exists for just that purpose?? Madness! The mentality!

Pretty much sums up places such as Bulgaria. Wouldn't invest lose change in the place..

I see this is a really old post but out of curiosity, who are the two solicitors you have mentioned RACHELG and TONYO.

I came across this thread searching for a way to file a complaint against a solicitor here in Bulgaria. I am Bulgarian myself and do realize in my experience dealing with English people that we have a different understanding of what a solicitor should be. I understand that a solicitor in the UK should look after your best interest and it is almost impossible that he or she doesn’t. This probably explains the reason why English people insist they trust their solicitor than simple common sense. First I must apologize to the majority of solicitors in Bulgaria who are excellent and honest professionals and have spent a very long time and hard work to become good at what they do. Unfortunately, there is a large number of exactly the opposite type who instead of garding their clients’ interest are much more in favor of their own. It is a common practice in Bulgaria that solicitors will drag on a problem for a much longer time than it is necessary, create unnecessary complications to a simple task, pursue a lawsuit clearly realizing it has no grounds, primarily for the reason that they charge more money and especially in the case of foreign clients where they have nobody else to trust in Bulgaria but their guardian solicitor. I even read in another place that a solicitor in Bulgaria refused to accept a contract for the purchase of an apartment on behalf of his client and offered that he finds him a better, cheaper and legally more acceptable apartment himself. The contract didn’t have any problems and the buyer ended up buying it using another solicitor.

At the moment I am in a position where an old client of mine, an English person, is intentionally being mislead by his solicitor in Bulgaria to act in a certain way that would not only result in a large loss for him but maybe he would loose all his investment here in Bulgaria. At the same time, I cannot explain it any more clearer to him that he is not doing the right thing, but he is certain that his solicitors know what would be best for him .At the same time, the only thing his solicitors know best is what way they would get the most money from him and especially if he looses it all because then there will be a 3-4 years lawsuit which they have stated themselves they would welcome gladly. Not to mention the methods they are using to convey the importance of their suggestions and opinion.

My only goal here, with the help of Internet, is to present to as many foreigners the facts and the differences which distinguish Bulgarian solicitors from their international colleagues. I looked through a lot of posts and website on the net and didn’t come across many complains against Bulgarian solicitors (maybe it was just me not finding any). At the same time, I found the solicitors acting on my old client’s behalf being part of many international and especially English websites, organizations, consortiums, and even listed on a web site rating “top solicitors in Bulgaria” where you register yourself.

I would be glad to hear if anyone else has had similar experience or had succeeded complaining from a solicitor.

I see this is a really old post but out of curiosity, who are the two solicitors you have mentioned RACHELG and TONYO.

It is not possible to name these people on this forum, as otherwise the owner of this site may be liable for defamation.

I came across this thread searching for a way to file a complaint against a solicitor here in Bulgaria. I am Bulgarian myself and do realize in my experience dealing with English people that we have a different understanding of what a solicitor should be.

This is an Irish based forum.

Back