Which fund to choose for pension

coolaboola12

Hi All

I am 43 and finding it difficult to decide on which fund i should use for my pension. Currently its in a passive equity fund that tracks the global index but if i select "lifestyle strategy" then it moves the money into a moderate growth fund

What is seen as the most optimum at my age ? I am maxing out my contributions so quite a lot is going in each month

At 43 you could have up to 20 years to retirement and another few decades after that with the bulk of your pension pot rolled into an ARF - so there's a strong argument for forgetting about "lifestyling" FUD/gobbledygook and sticking with a high/all equity content fund. Others, especially pension sales people, may disagree. You also need to ensure that the charges are competitive.

At 43 you could have up to 20 years to retirement and another few decades after that with the bulk of your pension pot rolled into an ARF - so there's a strong argument for forgetting about "lifestyling" FUD/gobbledygook and sticking with a high/all equity content fund. Others, especially pension sales people, may disagree. You also need to ensure that the charges are competitive.
its a company pension so dont have any control over the charges

its a company pension so dont have any control over the charges
You do have a choice of funds though, which gives some control. The moderate growth one the OP mentions I bet has a higher TER than their global index fund.

@coolaboola12 in my case, the TERs of the funds in the lifestyle strategy were higher, with lower returns, so I kept mine in a passive global index.

keep going with 100% equities. At your age you should prioritize contributions

Agree, 100% in a passive equity fund that tracks the global index is the best option for most people with >10 years to retirement.

Back