Which Bank Provides the best Online Service

Codogly

Hi Folks,

Now that Danske are pulling out of personal banking i will on the lookout for a new bank for current account and online purposes.
Fees and charges aside what are peoples opinions on the various online/App

I find the AIB site and apps (both the standard and the newer Tablet app) very good and easy to use. I have dabbled with UB and KBC and don't find either great (but I'm not a current account customer of KBC's so have a very limited online functionality).

It doesn't feel right to be endorsing AIB but there you go!

PTSB online isn't too bad - they've also got an app which is straightforward to use.

Checking balances, paying bills, transferring funds between accounts all easy to do.

I have no experience of other banks' online services, so can't say if PTSB online is better or worse than others, but it works for me!

Dankse Bank were widely regarded as having the best feature-rich online banking in Ireland. There is no clear second place.

I have used AIB, PTSB, EBS, Investec and Ulster Bank online facilities. None were perfect but PTSB was the best online experience. The PTSB Android app also is very easy to use.

Hi,

Afraid I'm also another casualty of the Danske exit ... as many of you will know from some of my previous posts on this website, I've been a fan of Danske for the majority of time and in particular, for their online banking.

Can anyone please tell me from other online banking options available:

A) Can the online facilities provide the option to do transfers abroad (both Euro and other currencies) ?

B) With regards to the online banking options, are they Android friendly (both phone and tablet using IceCream) ?

C) Does the online banking use Java / Flashplayer or other software please ?

Many thanks

One of the must useful features of the Danske bank online system was that you could setup outgoing transfers on a regular & automatic schedule e.g. monthly etc.

This was really handy instead of setting up standing orders, can the PTSB system do the same?

thanks!

Last edited:
One of the must useful features of the Danske bank online system was that you could setup outgoing transfers on a regular & automatic schedule e.g. monthly etc.

Do you mean a standing order? PTSB online banking has this feature.

Ciara / Rainyday,

Thank you both for your responses. Afraid our local Credit Union is a million miles away from what I need for day to day Banking purposes.

Hi,

Afraid I'm also another casualty of the Danske exit ... as many of you will know from some of my previous posts on this website, I've been a fan of Danske for the majority of time and in particular, for their online banking.

Can anyone please tell me from other online banking options available:

A) Can the online facilities provide the option to do transfers abroad (both Euro and other currencies) ?

B) With regards to the online banking options, are they Android friendly (both phone and tablet using IceCream) ?

C) Does the online banking use Java / Flashplayer or other software please ?

Many thanks

Anyone able to answer the above for me, for both BoI & AIB please ... and eh, I guess KBC also please ?

Thank you.

I have a current account with Danske-Its only used for paying mortgage and bills because I work in N Ireland and am paid in sterling so each month I transfer money to my ROI account to cover mortgage,bills. Therefore the current account deals around saying if you keep at least €1500 or whatever in the account each month are no good to me, as I would put about €900 into it per month.
Can anyone recommend the best option for me to switch to? Also because I have an account in NI with Danske I was able to transfer money each month without a transfer charge - I wonder do the other banks charge for this?

....Also because I have an account in NI with Danske I was able to transfer money each month without a transfer charge - I wonder do the other banks charge for this?

Perhaps it will be possible to transfer payments directly from your Danske A/c in NI to your mortgage account ? ... it's certainly worth asking them.

Agreed that Dankse should be able to take money out of your UK current account, especially from 1 February 2014 when SEPA is introduced.

However, you may not get a favourable EUR/GBP FX rate.

Therefore the current account deals around saying if you keep at least €1500 or whatever in the account each month are no good to me, as I would put about €900 into it per month.

The best deal does not require you to keep €1,500 in your account.

The best deal, with PTSB, requires you to wire at least €1,500 into the account each month.

You can wire the €900 you mentioned from your UK account to the PTSB account and then back to your UK account and then back to your PTSB account to qualify for free banking. Ideally, the UK account should also be in EUR to avoid FX margins.

I have a NI£ account with Danske and a ROI€ account with Danske. Because they are 'sister' banks I am able to online transfer each month from NI to ROI with no charge
However I think if I move to AIB ot BOI or PTSB I'll have to pay a charge for online banking transfer from NI£ to ROI€?

This was really handy instead of setting up standing orders, can the PTSB system do the same?

thanks!

Does PTSB have text and e-mail alerts? It's a useful feature with Dansk to inform you when transactions over a configured amount go through your account.

PTSB do have some text alerts (or they did when I opened my current account a few years ago). I receive a text if a withdrawal over a certain amount is made from my current account.

Can anyone with AIB internet banking tell me if there is a maximum daily transfer limit?
(I think the PTSB transfer limit is €5k)

thanks!

Back