where to live in galway

B

bernie

We are thinking of moving to galway next year. My husband works in H.P in ballybrit. We have two children aged 14 and 12 and we wondered where to look for a house that would be convenient to both a good school and my husbands work?

Ballybrit is on the east side of the city. In my opinion (no offence to anyone), the west side of Galway is the best place to live. I just find the east side industrial, rough and crammed with new celtic tiger housing estates. There are nice places on the east side but I would not live there. Cross the river and there are really nice areas (e.g. Knocknacarra, Salthill, Barna, Moycullen etc) and you can escape to Connemara with ease.

It will mean that your husband has to cross that dreaded bridge into all the awful traffic to get to HP but its a sacrifice worth making.

The east side is about an hour closer to Dubin Cork and Limerick though :)

Dont make the man cross that bridge everyday - Take a look at ClareGalway,Oranmore Athenry or Clarinbridge

She did look for convenient so west is out, the traffic can be brutal.

I'm from east Galway side but rural so a car is needed. My pick from WindUps list is Athenry. Train service, 2 secondary schools, near the motorway.

I went to school there so am be a bit bias.

Would Kinvara be too far? Great village, & house prices have dropped significantly there

There is a bus service from west of the Corrib to HP every weekday via Salthill.
For some strange reason, most of the secondary schools are either inn the city centre or in or around Salthill

The east of the city (where HP is) is primarily the industrial side of town but there are lots of estates. Once you cross the river, it mainly recreational and residential.

Bus lanes are being rolled out on the west of the city at the moment after the success of similar lanes on the east of the city.

What are your husband's working hours? If it is, 9 to 5, then he will spend 45 minutes+ getting to work and similar returning if ye live in Salthill or Knocknacarra. In that case, I would chose to live in or around Renmore which is well served by busses, is close to the city and is a fine community.

If you'd rather live a bit out of town, then Claregalway and Oranmore are modern urban villages within 10km of the city.

Other than that, my choice would be Knocknacarra or Salthill. Near the sea and well designed. Low crime and neigbourly best describe it for me which is why I chose to live in this area.

Galway is blessed with some fine sporting clubs. Do your kids play sport? Salthill Knocknaraa GAA and Salthill Devon FC are my local clubs and they are outstanding. As too are Mervue United FC, Corinthinas RFC, St James' GAA on the other side of the city.

Good luck.

Other

Ballybrit is on the east side of the city. In my opinion (no offence to anyone), the west side of Galway is the best place to live. I just find the east side industrial, rough and crammed with new celtic tiger housing estates. .

This is an amazing description of the East side of Galway. Hilsalt mentioned Renmore, a lovely family estate, houses well built, and would be considered large by todays sizes. Estate not too large, right near the water and easy to get into the city. Walkable to city center and there is a short cut if I remember along the railway line. Just down from Renmore is Wellpark, large detached houses to be found here. And closer to the city plus would be perfect to get to HP as you'd be going against traffic, my assumption is traffic is coming into city and you're husband would be going out. Tara Grove is another estate, more recently built, about 20 years ago I think. Then you have the option of the Tuam road, there are pockets of small estates there with a great location. And then on the Headford road you have a long established estate of Tirellan and Castleawn (some detached available here).

Don't let your husband do the bridge, life is not worth it. Traffic in Galway is cronic. Parking in the city really badly laid out. Don't know about schools. Anyone who lives on the Salthill side has to put up with all the summer trippers snaking along in the summer months heading out to Connemara. Personallly I think Knocknacarra is a large urban sprawl. Wouldn't be a fan of Ballybrit (which is where HP is) but that's a personal decision. It's been improved with new roads and the Dunnes stores complex and Clayton Hotel etc.

Big advantage to the East is you're on the Limerick/Dublin side. If you've plenty of money, large detached houses in the old Roscam, the new Roscam, recently built celtic tiger madness, nothing to say. The most exclusive part of Galway is Taylor's hill.

Oranmore is a lovely village, more a commuter town, with plenty of facilities and easy reach of the city. Beyond Oranmore is a nice part of Galway which is Maree, many large houses there and the sailing club close by. Behind Tirellan and hidden from view is a quaint village called Menlo, also on the water.
You haven't said budget etc. But for sure you must check out morning and evening traffic before you decide where to buy.

Hi Bernie ... I think that Oranmore and its hinterlands would suit you, or Claregalway. There is a new secondary school coming onstream in Claregalway, taking enrolments from 2013, though not many details on that yet. Oranmore is a nice village, lively pubs, a few restaurants, with regular sized Tesco. Close to Renville Park and the water and sailing club. Calasanctius college is 2nd level there [don't know what it's like]. It's on the east side and would be about a 10-12 minute drive to HP [good roads] with no traffic. Good if you want either an estate house or stand alone.

I forgot to mention the Galway Advertiser (free newspaper) of which I have last weeks copy. This lists most of the auctioneers in Galway and also there are a load of interesting properties being sold by O'Donnellan & Joyce at their auction this month. A lot of them nice family homes in good areas.

Back