Where to invest in a deflationary environment ?

D

depression

I believe there will be a year or two of deflation. Under such circumstances where should one invest his money ? I have a lot of spare cash right now circa 200 k from the sale of bank and related shares a year ago.

Re: Where to invest in a deflationary environment ???

Cash at the best fixed rate of interest you can get.

Here's an idea for you - how about investing in an actual company, creating jobs, products and services? You could do it through a scheme.

Here's an idea for you - how about investing in an actual company, creating jobs, products and services? You could do it through a scheme.
So I went to look at the Enterprise Ireland site that you quoted above. It is hopelessly out of date, full of broken links. So, where is one supposed to find out what companies are looking for BES funding?

Give them a call - its just an idea not necessarily a fully researched proposal.:).

Try county or city enterprise boards, Irish software association, digital hub etc.

oil and commodities, ok they might fall further, but it is asia that will lead the world out of recession, and this is what the asians will be buying, also western economies will have to print more money to reduce debt loadings

oil and commodities, ok they might fall further, but it is asia that will lead the world out of recession, and this is what the asians will be buying, also western economies will have to print more money to reduce debt loadings

Apparently inflation will follow the period of deflation

Is land inflation proof ?

And will the people burdened by negative equity or large mortgages over long periods then find the value of their debts decreasing significantly due to inflation ?

And will the people burdened by negative equity or large mortgages over long periods then find the value of their debts decreasing significantly due to inflation ?
Only if their salaries increase. Otherwise they will get poorer.

thanks for the replies.

If someone would consider investing a small % of net worth in gold, what does anyone think about the gold coins available at the GPO ?

Visit this link for information on invetsing in a BES fund:

[broken link removed]

i think gold is a good buy, because very high rates of inflation are going to follow the credit crunch, the worlds central banks are going to have to inflate, thus reducing the value of cash, we may have deflation in ireland simply because irish goods and services have no other way to go but down irrespective of whether oil etc go back up because of international demand, warren buffet is investing almost all his stockpiles of cash which he has been hoarding for years, he is not banking on deflation, why not put some money where he is putting it,

I thought recessions were a "bad" time to buy gold as it's seen as a safe investment? I know the price of gold was drastically lower during the boom years.

Back