Where to Invest 50k for 10-20 Years?

dave2k

Hi there.
I am completely new to all this and have read as many of the fantastic posts here as I could, thank you for all the fantastic advice. Here is my situation:

I am 24 years old and have 50k (euros) to invest.

I do not own any property.

I am willing to invest the 50k VERY long term (10-20 years).

I am looking for either medium or maximum security on the initial amount invested, low-medium if there is something decent that anyone can suggest.

I am looking for the highest possible return (obviously) but want to be able to get any return gained annually (pay for rent).

Can someone point me in the right direction at what sort of investment I should be looking at? I will of course be seeking professional advice, but would liek to learn at lease SOMETHING first.

Apologies if this has been asked a thousand times already.
Thanks in advance.

You would do well to 'live off the interest' on €50,000.

Even a net return of 8% would leave you with €4k per annum, which equates to around €333 per month, which seems low for rent these days. That's not acheiveable from a low/medium risk investment that provides annual payments in my opinion.

My advice would be that you scrap the idea of hoping that you can live off this type of investment, without another source of regular income.

Medium to long term investments like 10 to 20 years should ideally not be touched, and left for the duration. In this time, expect to see a good few dips in your investment - but overall expect to make a good return.

If you can afford it, I would say put aside what you can essentially 'forget' about for 10+ years, and invest in infrastructure via a fund or two.

Back