Where in the plumbing system does the Water Softener system go?

hastalavista

Just wondering where in the plumbing system does the WS system go: on the rising main to the attic tank or from the attic tank to the appliances, points of use, immersion cylinder?
Thanks

Hi hasta,

Ive split your question from another older .

Most systems are whole of house systems and are situated close to the well pump house or on the rising service pipe in the case of public mains water.

aj

Many thanks.

Now for the next question:)

Is a CLACK IMPRESSION WATER SOFTENER 10 X 54 the same as a CLACK 10 by 54

The reason I ask is that on the Irish site that markets the CLACK IMPRESSION WATER SOFTENER 10 X 54 the links bring you to http://www.water-right.com/

an Irish site that markets the CLACK IMPRESSION WATER SOFTENER 10 X 54 offers a buy on the web option with prices and all

whereas the company that markets the CLACK 10 X 54 has no links to Clack, has no prices shown and seems to insist on a supply a fit service only.

Clack is the company that manufacturers the valve controller the regulates the flow through the unit (and the backwash cycle). Years ago these were mechanical but nowadays they are electronically controlled.

Clack would be regarded as among the best of the controllers. I came across a brand called autotrol a few years ago but they were bad.

Water Right, the company you mention uses its Crystal-Right™ media in its products. Crystal-Right™ has been used extensively in Ireland with mixed results.

Crystal-Right™ can work well as part of a well designed, installed and maintained system but can be a disaster when it is used blind with out proper water testing, system design etc.

Have a read of some of Zenn's posts here - they are really excellent.

Most well established water softener manufacturers like Clack Corporation and Culligan have been around for over 60 years and the big players like General Electric and Siemens are big producers of water softeners.

All the main US and European manufacturers of conventional water softeners have NSF and WQA certifications.

Lab results confirm removal of all levels of lime using water softeners from even 1000 ppm of lime, (say 350 ppm in Meath) down to under 1ppm of lime.

Some older near worn out systems can still remove from 500 ppm down to under 10 ppm after even 20 years in use. Not all, but some.

Ideally, you want the water softener to be located fairly close to the point where the mains water is coming into the house, but have one tap that doesn't go through the water softener, and use that one for drinking water.

Thanks for all the input.

Have a proposal on my desk for a Clack 10 by 54 plus an under sink RO unit for drinking water only. The RO unit can be either 3 or 5 stage

Is the RO over kill or a necessity? The argument seems to be to remove the sodium left by the salt.

I thought the medium, usually resin, removed the gunk form the water flowing through and then the salt-laden water that does the backwash/purge removed the gunk so how does the sodium from the salt be in constant contact with the resin?

Thanks

hastalavista - could explain what all that means. I'm thinking of getting a system but I didn't understand a word of that.

read the stuff by Zenn as linked further up as well as other stuff by him, will be back later
RO is reverse osmosis.

Back