Where have the discounts gone ?

redstar

I was looking on Bonkers.ie to see the latest offers for Gas and Electricity.

Most of the discounts are no longer available, and those that are available seem much lower that previous years.
I have 40% with Flogas since last year , but the best now is 22% for 2yrs
Electricity discounts range from 5.5% to 15%

Are the suppliers not discounting through Bonkers anymore ?

Bord Gais's 39% discount for gas and electricity has disappeared - it now 10% each (on their own website)

Looks like energy competition is dying...

With gas and electricity, when people say they get 30% off, some get almost 40% off, others 15%, etc? Off what are they getting the percentages? Surely there's a best price for these items at a particular time, and that is the unit price they should be aiming for. Not a percentage off some imaginary price.

With gas and electricity, when people say they get 30% off, some get almost 40% off, others 15%, etc? Off what are they getting the percentages? Surely there's a best price for these items at a particular time, and that is the unit price they should be aiming for. Not a percentage off some imaginary price.
Yes but this is precisely why people use bonkers and switcher, to make the decsion easier for them and comparing all the prices with whtaever % off they offer.

The % discounts are off their own Standard Prices - which also differ between suppliers.
I prefer to look at the actual unit price offered and standard charges per supplier.
Its getting harder to compare these when price rises are imminent - they may be cheaper now but not so after a price rise.

Consumer confusion, as usual :rolleyes:

The market is basically broken, i think.

The unavailability of 12 month, fixed price contracts , has been a game changer and you are largely at the mercy of the supplier.
I recently switched to Bord Gais for electricity and to benefit from a 39% discount on their standard rates making their new customer rate fairly attractive. The following week they announced a 34% increase in their standard rates ! Switching ain't what it used to be !

Interestingly, OneBigSwitch are offering 33% dual fuel discount for Gas and electricity with Bord Gais (seems like they don't offer any other suppliers)

Interestingly, OneBigSwitch are offering 33% dual fuel discount for Gas and electricity with Bord Gais (seems like they don't offer any other suppliers)
We are just out of contract with Energia...Bonkers threw up very few options ( Prepay only ) probably because I used the contracted rate I was availing of rather than the new one Energia which will apply , I also got that email from OneBigSwitch and I think its very misleading as it doesn't factor in the price increase from 2 October from BG. I got through to customer services BG this evening for dual fuel the rate for Gas from 2 Oct will be 13.15 cent per unit and for electricity 43.37 cent per unit ..that's way off the email from OneBigSwitch. It's not easy trying to compare at the moment, we will continue to use wood burning stove for time being although that grates with my sustainability ethos ...we do have 2 recyclable bins to accommodate the larger amount of plastic that can now go in it... still doesn't feel like enough

The unavailability of 12 month, fixed price contracts , has been a game changer and you are largely at the mercy of the supplier.
I recently switched to Bord Gais for electricity and to benefit from a 39% discount on their standard rates making their new customer rate fairly attractive. The following week they announced a 34% increase in their standard rates ! Switching ain't what it used to be !
I signed up to Energia EV plan on Monday September 5th, its rate, as its fixed” for 12 months, but only applicable to day/night meters. We have about 60 % of our usage, (which will drop a bit as winter closes in) on night rates.
All Including vat:
Day rate 29.82, Night rate: 8.58(not a typo)
Annual Standing Charge of €296.40.

The same day, i signed up to Flogas, “Green Future Gas 35% off” for 1 year, came with €220 one off credit, unit rate 11.04 (not fixed)which has since increased, but largely irelevant, as we only use gas for hob cooking which is very small usage, & annual standing charge of €104.29 standing charge inc vat.

I left Electric Ireland, a few days after, their most recent increase, and had to pay €50 exit fee for both Electricity & Gas, but its more than worth it, as i’l have zero gas bills for a year, the €220 credit will cover the lot.
I just missed, even lower rates, on the Energia EV plan. They increased them, just before i switched, and a few days after i switched, they increased again to 33.80 day & 9.73 night.

EI’s new Electricity rates from October 1st, are more than double the Night rate of the Energia EV plan, the standing charge was €100 extra per year with EI, and the day rate was nearly 20% higher with EI.

Point is, one needs to keep a regular check on the offers that come out. The Flogas offer was gone, just a few days after i switched, i spotted it a few weeks ago, and only moved, when EI increased gas rates on September 1st. competition seems to have totally dried up alright, in recent weeks, and it has become increasingly difficult, to compare one against the other.

We are just out of contract with Energia...Bonkers threw up very few options ( Prepay only )
Make sure you select No for the 'Only show tariffs available for sign up?' question. That limits you to deals you can sign up for directly from the Bonkers site.

Did you need to show evidence of EV or can anyone join this ? Also they don't say anything of fixed charge currently so they have changed that ?
You don’t need an EV, although package is better for night time EV charging. They may have changed the “fixed” part, it was there about 2 weeks ago.

SSE Airtricity gave 28% of electric and 23% of gas on the duel fuel bundle today.
Rate increase due 1st October though

SSE Airtricity gave 28% of electric and 23% of gas on the duel fuel bundle today.
Rate increase due 1st October though
Indeed my current contracts expired today and have been researching for the past 10 days. Energia had 15% discount off gas yesterday that's changed to 10% today! Bonkers doesn't seem to be up to date with the rapidly changing (seemingly daily if not hourly...offers) same with Switcher too. This makes it super hard to figure out who is best in terms of standing charges, per unit rates and incentives like cash offers.

Currently SSE are offering a flat 10% off gas and electricity rates which seems the same as the other main providers. However the http://htts://sseairtricity.com/assets/Tariffs/ROI/Future/1YR-DF-10-10.pdf (link) to the Oct 1st changes by SSE is broken so can only work off the % increases listed here. So another layer of calculations to work out.

I left Electric Ireland, a few days after, their most recent increase, and had to pay €50 exit fee for both Electricity & Gas, but its more than worth it, as i’l have zero gas bills for a year, the €220 credit will cover the lot.
I am kicking myself for not doing similar just last week Bord Gais was offering something like 38% off Electricity and 28% off Gas rates, I should have swallowed the €100 early termination fee!

All in all not at all a transparent energy market, really the CRU should be inforcing some consumer pricing guidelines to ensure easy comparisons.

This is all aside from some Smart meter plans costing more and apparently if you move to a Smart plan you cannot move back to a Standard plan. Not really a good incentive for us all to make us of the smart meters they paid millions to install. :(

I think peope need to move away from looking at these offers, in terms of 20% off, 15 % off etc. Focus instead, on the actual rates being charged per unit of gas & electricity, and the annual standing charges, these are the only numbers, that matter.

And never be afraid, to swallow early termination charges, do the maths, do your homework,shop around, get your accurate annual consumption data, which varies hugely across different people, and crunch the numbers. It doesent always make sense, to have one provider for gas and electricity.

Also, while not everyone can do big retrofit upgrades etc, consider insulation- attic and external walls pumped, get windows repaired, or seals repaired where there are known drafts. Back and front doors are also potential big heat leakers, these could be improved with new seals and draft excluders, if needed.

There are also other, lowish or zero cost things you can do, choose energy efficient appliances when they are up for replacement, use low wattage led bulbs “all” over the house, they are not cheap, so start with the highest use lights, usually in halls, stairs landings, kitchen etc, make an effort, to change some of the energy wasting habits, we all have. Put external lights on timer sensors with low wattage led lights, rather than on for hours, until someone remembers to turn them off.

my contract with sse is finished on Oct 3rd. have been trying to see what's best but can't figure it out!

I was with GlowPower. Back in October 2021 we were offered a special discount to switch to Bord Gais Energy for our Electricity. The offer was called "Best New Glow Electricity Offer". I switched.

One year later and our contract is coming up for renewal and Bord Gais Energy has emailed us and offered us a 40% discount on our electricity if we renew. However, there is no unit price shown, or fixed charge price shown, just 40% off your electricity. No idea how the 40% off is made up.

Surely to God we should be told this what the 40% off relates to?

I was with GlowPower. Back in October 2021 we were offered a special discount to switch to Bord Gais Energy for our Electricity. The offer was called "Best New Glow Electricity Offer". I switched.

One year later and our contract is coming up for renewal and Bord Gais Energy has emailed us and offered us a 40% discount on our electricity if we renew. However, there is no unit price shown, or fixed charge price shown, just 40% off your electricity. No idea how the 40% off is made up.

Just find out what the best price is per KW of electricity and what their standing charge is. If you have that info, then you go with the cheapest.

It's just 40% off their standard rate. The current standard rate will be published on their website, but is subject to change as the market moves.

Back