Where can you get good Pizza dough

part-timer

Took little part-timers to Cork during schoool mid-term to visit their uncle and we spent some time in English market - love that place. There is a shop there called Iago's (?) - sells pasta, sauces, meats and the most fab pizza dough ever!! Does anyone know where you can get really good pizza dough in the Dublin area - have vowed never to buy pizzas from super market after tasting the ones my brother made with Iagos dough!! Or does anyone have a simple recipe?
Thanks

flour, water, yeast as far as I know

Mrs Zag & the mini-zags make pizza every Friday evening. Costs very little, tastes yummy, takes very little time.

I'll see if I can get the authorised version of the ingredients, but I'm not far off I think.

z

its the simplest thing to make up, and homemade one beat the shop ones hands down. i'd never eat a shop bought pizza again.

The recipe I use is simple:

Pour 1 cup of warm water into a bowl. Add half a teaspoon of sugar. Add half a sachet of dried yeast and stir gently in. Sit for ten mins.

Add some salt and 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.

Add 1 cup of cream flour and mix, and 2nd cup of flour and mix work in third cup of flour and then add fourth and combine in.

Knead it for a few minutes ( the longer the better). When its pliable and elastic coat with a thin layer of olive oil, put in a bowl covered in cling film and sit in a warm place for about half an hour till it expands. Then you're good to go!

Most breadmakers have a dough-making setting, which is absolutely idiot proof, if you feel lacking in confidence to make the dough yourself.

Use strong white bread flour rather than cream flour - strong flour is higher in gluten and it works better for yeast-risen dough.

Also be sparing with the toppings and cook in the hottest oven possible.

Hi PartTimer,
DizieT is right about the strong flour. The one used in Italy is called "Tipo 00" (type zero zero). I havent seen it in the mainstream supermarkets, but Italian deli's usually stock it.

JT.

1 1/2 lbs strong flour (plain will do but stong makes it springyer and rise better)
1 packet instant yeast
16 fl oz warm water
sploge of olive oil ( about 2 big spoons full)
Mix, knead for a while, leave to stand in bowl covered for an hour.

Makes 3 thick pizza bases, or more if you like it thin and crispy
Top and cook for about 10 mins at 240C

I concur home made Pizzas are amazing!

The secret is in the base ( doughy and light or crispy and thin ) and the sauce. You could put anything oin a good base with a killer sauce and it will taste good!

Highly recommend them. they really seem to impress people too!

" wow you made a Pizza your self "

"eh yeah...so..?"

Just made pizza using paddi22's recipe but using strong flour. Amazing results base was just gorgeous. The family are still licking their lips, I think that's as a result of the topping.
I think ramble's recipe is pretty similar and 240C is about right. The hotter the better!

Used paddi22's recipe with italian flour (as per jt_dublin -got it in fruit and veg shop in Donnybrook) and it was absolutely perfect. Works out real cheap - so spend the money on good toppings. Why don't pizzerias use this recipe??? Thanks everyone.

How long would you leave it in for at 240C? 15 minutes? 20 minutes, or you would need to keep checking?
What toppings did people use?

How long would you leave it in for at 240C? 15 minutes? 20 minutes, or you would need to keep checking?
What toppings did people use?

A thin pizza cooked at 240C will cook in 10 minutes or less.
In 15/20 minutes, the toppings will be charred remains.

The trick is to get the pizza base cooked before the toppings burn.

One good trick is to put the pizza tray in the oven for a few minutes,
and then put the pizza on it. The bottom of the base then starts to cook immediately and gets crispier.

My favourite toppings are ( from Jamie Olivers cook book)

- chorizo and basil
- chopped up spicy sausage, thyme and fried onion

I think proper mozzerella is much better than the grated stuff.
It cooks well at high temps and tastes much better

Back