Where can I get a mortgage for overseas property?

paperclip

hi, what's the deal with a mortgage for an overseas property?

do i just ask for a mortgage from my bank here? or do i need to get a mortgage from the country in question?

how are you supposed to invest in overseas property?

how are you supposed to get a mortgage for an overseas property?

... just talked to BOI, they said they wont give out mortgages for overseas property... and PTSB aren't giving out new mortgages at all... I bank with both of these...

Re: how are you supposed to invest in overseas property?

Try raising a mortgage on the overseas property with an overseas bank?

Re: how are you supposed to invest in overseas property?

Or.....if you are lucky enough to have enough equity in your propert/ies here - get a loan here.

Hi OP

PIBA have been sending out emails recently re overseas lending. I would imagine they have a broker deal with BNP Paribas or a similar bank. Call them and ask for your nearest PIBA broker. the broker can then tell you which markets and banks PIBA have on the books as I don't think you can deal directly with PIBA itself(Insurance broker body). can't post link to their site but it is quite obvious and easy to find

When it comes to raising money for an overseas properties you have two options:
1) Release equity in an Irish property - i.e. use an Irish bank to get a remortgage.
2) Raise the money with a bank in the country where the property is located.

I have two properties overseas - both in Spain. The first was funded thru an equity release on a property here in Ireland. The second was funded with a mortage raised in Spain thru a local Spanish bank.
FYI the Spanish bank asked for very similiar documents to the banks here in Ireland - ie proof of income, proof of tax compliance, bank statements etc etc.

Hope this helps.

Back