Whats in a name ?

SARAHPMAN

I was wondering if anyone out there could help me. My partner is starting up his own business (hopefully) in the coming months and we have been trying to come up with a name.

everything i come up with has its critics, but none of these critics have their own ideas.

does anybody know if anyone who would help with the nameing.
or even point us in the right direction.

thanks

Sarah

A play on words is sometimes eye-catching. It's difficult to offer constructive advice without knowing what type of business you are starting.

its a small carpentry business. doing things like fitting floors hanging doors. also fitting kitchens and makking custom storage cabinets etc..

a bit of everything really.

though he wants the name to be flexible enough if he decides to expand the business into larger renovations etc...

i firstly thought he should keep it very simple
all the names had the word carpentry in it.
e.g c.m carpentry or something like that.

but this had a negative reaction from people sayin it didn't sound high end with carpentry in it. and wasn't flexable enough for expansion to a larger company.

the second lot of names had 'renovation' in it but people thought this word would make you think of jobs like knocking walls and extensions etc.. not the smaller jobs.

my head is wrecked at this stage.

Something generic that does not tie the business down to a single function...
Such as CM Designs or CM Disign & Build etc

Never mind the name - what will generate further business is good quality work at a fair price backed up with service with a smile; names are largely irrelevant unless selling into the FMCG or retail markets.

e.g.: "Smurfit Corrugated Ireland" is not a very catchy name but it's a very successful company!

its a small carpentry business....

but this had a negative reaction from people sayin it didn't sound high end with carpentry in it. and wasn't flexible enough for expansion to a larger company.

Why aim for a "high end" name so? You are running the risk of confusing people. Personally I would opt for Joe Bloggs Carpenter. You can adapt this later on if his business diversifies.

Frankly, if I were in his position, the business name would be the last thing I would worry about at this stage.

Personally I would opt for Joe Bloggs Carpenter.

I Agree. I think its very important for people to specify in their company name what the business does. It means that on first glance of your company name, people know immediately what you do. Using generic words like design etc could refer to any other number of industries and possibly wouldn't guarantee as much work.

open the classifieds and golden pages and see what others are calling their companies then go from there.

Keep it generic. Most likely any where you use the name, on a sign, in a advert etc. It will be accompanied by some further description of what you do.

SarahPMan LTD
Carpentery Services

SarahPMan LTD
Design & Renovation

SPM Carpentery

Etc.

I wouldn't worry too much about it TBH.

Something starting with an A so that if someone is checking the phone book they will get to you first.

I don't get that. Do you generally look up services by starting at A and finding the first one?

That only really applies to the Golden pages and even then its not the best way to name your company.

Why don't you use Google for some inspiration:

=

You're not alone by the way: I've gone through this twice at this stage, and both times it took a crazy amount of time and effort relative to the ultimate importance of the name.

Keep in mind if you need or plan to have an online presence to check an appropriate .ie or .com name is available.

Keep it generic. Most likely any where you use the name, on a sign, in a advert etc. It will be accompanied by some further description of what you do.

SarahPMan LTD
Carpentery Services

SarahPMan LTD
Design & Renovation

SPM Carpentery

Etc.

I wouldn't worry too much about it TBH.

I agree..............if you have built up a good rep. then keep your name.

Back