What to do with 1500 per month

So the trusts are a better idea than standard life ? Those two are the ones in most interested in I think
Better purely from a tax perspective. Not just trusts, any investment that falls under general tax principles. Especially if you think it's something you're going to buy and forget for the long term. Like some of the companies @Gordon Gekko suggested above as part of a portfolio either / as well.

I think I'm going to go with 1k per month into fcit and just let the rest build up in the bank. Thanks all

Luckily I have a decent salary
I’m sure you do, but what is your ambition here ?if you are maxing pension contributions and expect to max the pension threshold what is your investment ambition ? To have further funds available at retirement (for what ?), to leave large amounts to your kids ?

I’m sure you do, but what is your ambition here ?if you are maxing pension contributions and expect to max the pension threshold what is your investment ambition ? To have further funds available at retirement (for what ?), to leave large amounts to your kids ?
Yeah to have more available cash to help me retire early in about 20 years. Plan is to spend it all then in retirement . My pension is low enough, I'm playing catch up with that

Yeah to have more available cash to help me retire early in about 20 years. Plan is to spend it all then in retirement . My pension is low enough, I'm playing catch up with that
Fair enough that sounds like a plan, but don’t save it all for retirement , make sure you do the things you want along the way , good luck

I think I'm going to go with 1k per month into fcit and just let the rest build up in the bank. Thanks all
That was quick for such a significant decision.

Are you absolutely certain that you are maxed out on pension contributions ? Have you spoken to a good pension consultant or two and got confirmation of this ? You’d be amazed the number of HR people who “administer“ company pension deductions who have a very poor understanding of what’s actually possible, or who don’t want the hassle of anything beyond x% based on your age.

That was quick for such a significant decision.

Are you absolutely certain that you are maxed out on pension contributions ? Have you spoken to a good pension consultant or two and got confirmation of this ? You’d be amazed the number of HR people who “administer“ company pension deductions who have a very poor understanding of what’s actually possible, or who don’t want the hassle of anything beyond x% based on your age.
I pay 5% with 20% avc with a company top up of 7% so 32% every month goes into my pension. I'm certain of that

I'm 43

I pay 5% with 20% avc with a company top up of 7% so 32% every month goes into my pension. I'm certain of that

I'm 43
Your limit is related to your contribution you can ignore the employers , assume you are aware but just in case you aren’t.

Most people seem to hint that investing outside the pension wrapper just isn't worth it. Is that the case ?

I think this is the (admittedly very fortunate) situation that quite a number of Irish people find themselves in & is one of the reasons why there are many billions of euro stagnating in current accounts.

Could Brendan and/or others who believe/follow this strategy outline a) how he/they picks the basket of shares he suggests we should buy; many of us simply don’t have the time or interest & so never get off the starting blocks in this regard b) in simple English outline the process of how we go about buying these shares c) are there annual tax return obligations with owning such a basket of shares & how is this dealt with d) is the strategy to always buy & hold; ignore downsize risks or market falls & just have a share portfolio as part of an overall financial portfolio to be cashed in in a fairly unscientific way whenever it might be necessary in older age or left ultimately for family beneficiaries on death.

An outline of a simple workable strategy for relatively wealthy & somewhat financially literate people who are wary of entrusting/outsourcing all their financial decisions to brokers/advisors & are keen to follow Brendan’s strategy as he has long outlined would be very beneficial

Ok, I’ll bite…

The OP finds himself in his early 40’s, mortgage free with a modestly sized pension and material cash savings.

In most circumstances, that’s just bad financial planning.

In general, once somebody has bought their first home they should, IMO, be maximising their tax-relieved pension contributions.

Maybe the OP received a big inheritance or sold a business for a fortune. But if we don’t get these details, we have to make certain assumptions.

I would actually take this one step further - most folks really have no need to invest after- tax money in anything.

And yet this comes up on an almost daily basis on AAM.

And the advice to invest in a random selection of 10 of the publicly traded stocks, out of a universe of (very) roughly 10,000 globally traded publicly companies?

Well, that’s just bonkers IMO.

Back