What to call the president if meeting her?

BetsyClark

Hello

The creche where I work is being formally opened by President McAleese soon. I expect we will all simply continue our work as normal while she is shown around, but wondered, if she does ask any questions, or makes any comment, how should we address her?

BC

Official title I think is 'A Uachtaran' but when I've met her before called her Mary and she didn't seem offended. Lovely warm woman.

Hello

The creche where I work is being formally opened by President McAleese soon. I expect we will all simply continue our work as normal while she is shown around, but wondered, if she does ask any questions, or makes any comment, how should we address her?

BC

I think you should ask her staff in advance of the visit. Slim

The terms 'Your Excellency' or 'Uachtarán/ President' may be used when addressing the President of Ireland.

From the website

[broken link removed]

Official title I think is 'A Uachtaran' but when I've met her before called her Mary and she didn't seem offended. Lovely warm woman.

She's our queen. The queen of our hearts. Just like one of us really...at least until she got the gig in the park.

So, I met the President today and said "Nice to meet you President McAleese" as she shook my hand and no-one complained ...

Hello

BC

If you are unsure, ring the Protocol Section of the Department of Foriegn Affairs, they will let you know...

hi there OP,

can I just ask - Are you Enda Kenny by any chance? It's just that your original post appeared just before you were due to go up to the big house in the park to collect your seal that gave your ID away!

Don't know about President, but if you meet the Queen when she's over you address her as Ma'am. Pronounced Ma'am as in jam not Ma'am as in harm.

Back