What price for agri land to add to existing site?

Marge

Hi there,

Any ideas/advise on the following or how I might find out?

My family have a modest house on a site in County Galway. There is a posibility that my sister and I can built on the small site next door (it is not the minimum .5 acre, so this will be subject to many conditions if we can.)

We are thinking of approaching our neighbour who owns the agricultural land at the back to ask if he might sell us 1/4 or 1/2 an acre which will mean we can have a bit more flexibility with the house size etc.
His land is 100% agricultural with no road frontage.
What sort of general prices should we be working within for this type of land? As its not a site as such, I have no clue.

Thanks in advance,

Marge

agricultural land generally would sell for about 15k per acre totally dependant on the part of the country. assuming what you have said is accurate ( he may have access or it may be zoned differently etc) then i would imagine if you offered him 15-20k for a half acre to 3/4 of an acre he may be willing to sell.
Two things to note though. Farmers dont like selling land unless it is funny money (and this is not) and they like cash. Just a thought.

Marge,

One word of advice I'd offer you is to box clever.

With the price of sites in Galway, of which I am sure your neighbour is well aware, he might well take the 'cute' approach, i.e. 1/2 acre is no use as it is but value appreciates on a large scale once 1/4 acres are added to it...

I have actually seen a similar case to this in the past and it's very possible that your neighbour won't view the land as purely agricultural.

Can I ask what part of Galway you are in?

Hi there,

His land is 100% agricultural with no road frontage.

Marge

Your possibly talking "ransom strip". He'll know you need it to comply with P.P. therefore site value plus.

How much would you sell your piece to him for - agric value ?

If it was me I'd look at it like this. Your full site with PP might sell for 200K. If 20% of the site belongs to me originally then I would expect to start negotiating at about 40K.

plaudit,

That's exactly what I think most people would do.
One word of warning - don't approach your neighbour with the attitude of 'ah, sure it's only agricultural land' - people get very attached to land...

Have a look around at the cost of sites in your area and try and work out a fair and realistic price from that. I'd imagine you'll be able to buy subject to planning (make sure to have everything sound legally) so there'll be no gamble on your own side.

Let us know where you are and I can get some prices on sites for you.

If you want to be upfront about it and be seen to be so, I would suggest you approach him/her first to see if they would be amenable, and if so, suggest that he/she employ the services of an auctioneer ( which you will pay for) to do a valuation of the strip. Also bear in mind that if the valuation is relatively low- anything up to 20,000.00 that you should really offer to pay the engineers costs and legal costs too. Remember this is your neighbour so you really want to keep future relations happy.

I live in a village and there was unused land beside my house. It was "landlocked" and had no development potential. I approached the owner and they agreed to sell it to me.

I considered it to be agricultural land as it had no development potential and made an offer at agricultural prices but it was refused (I knew it would!). The reality is that depending on where you are land can just have a value above and beyond agricultural value.

In this case I paid development land prices for it, but it was only 1/10 of an acre!! (I paid €14k). Dublin

Firstly, thanks for all the replies.

The site is south county Galway near the village of Kilcolgan .5 acre sites vary from 200K upwards. On my road, sites can only be sold to locals.

Just to clarify, I do not actually need this additional piece of land in order to get planning permission as can get it under certain conditions as it stands. (Have checked this with planning office etc..)
Having a small sliver extra land would just mean more flexibility with house design etc.

Thanks for all the tips. I think its a long shot in anycase as my neighbour is very land attached. At least now I have an idea how to approach without offending him with a lowball offer!

Thanks again,

Marge

Marge,

From experience, sites can be very hard to source around that area so you are very lucky and as you say, local needs is a prerequisite.

Having said that, the site would obviously be a lot more valuable should it be suitable for a large home and your neighbour will probably be fully aware of this.

I think if you approach things in a sensible and pratical manner, you've a better chance in the longtrun.. Best of luck with it!

Back