What pension rights does she have?

Thanks again everyone for the other replies. I've now got to the point where I think I'm going to look for another solicitor, I've tried for 2 weeks to get mine to phone me with some answers and despite promises from her secretary, I've yet to hear from her.

I'm going to start another thread asking if anyone has any recommendations, but on the off-chance anyone reading this knows of a good divorce lawyer - please feel free to PM me the details!

Thanks
Max

Also any PAO will depend on if it is a 'defined contribtion' or 'defined benefit' pension. If you agree a 'lump sum' in lieu of pension rights then you should also agree a Nil pension adjustment order to protect your retirement rights. In most pension that max a spouse can get is 50%, if she remaried after divorce she is no longer a spouse and if she did not get a PAO prior to divorce she will not be able to claim against your pension. So think long and hard about it.

I don't want to hijack this post but if the OP's wife has her own pension plan, does the OP have a right to look for a payment from that on her retirement also ? Or is she obliged to declare that she will have this additional income in the future ?

My own experience for what it's worth.

Ex and I both worked in public service, each contributing to our own pension. When we divorced, the judge noted that we each had a pension and made no order for any transfer of pension/lump sum payments - in other words we were on our own regarding pensions. There were no children, and the family home had been divided equally.

Back