What happens to a solicitors cases should he die i.e. My will

elcato

So was thinking of making a will and the solicitor is a family friend who is 10 years older than me. He is not in a family firm or a group firm so if he dies who takes over the cases he's on such as my will if I outlive him but go a bit groggy and forget where my will was made. Just wondering.

There are a range of scenarios. In most cases, sole practitioners have an arrangement with a colleague to step in and take over, in the event of serious illness or death.

On retirement, it would be usual for a solicitor to notify clients that they are doing so and offering the client the option of collecting their will or having it passed to a solicitor of the client's choosing or to a nominated colleague.

In worse case scenarios, where the practice just "stops" and no-one is dealing with anything, the Law Society step in and contact clients.

In terms of wills and getting a bit groggy , its a good idea to have a copy of your will with your "top drawer" papers and also to give your executor a copy, in a sealed envelope, if you prefer.

mf

Last edited:
Back