What gift for happy couple?

help-me

Hi,

Ok have a wedding to go to in a couple of weeks. I'm a fella,its my mum's and her partners wedding. I really need some advice on what to do/give. My girlfriend is going to the wedding to so it will be from the two of us. She doesnt know either, well she has lots of suggestions but thinks I should know better because im her son!! I really dont know though. They both have gud jobs so money isn't a prob for them. We were thinking of just giving some money like €300 (were poor by the way) but then it might look scabby when all there posh mates turn up with real expensive gifts/or more money!! They have a house so all the housey stuff is out of the question and no doubt they will end up with 10 sets of crystal vases so dont think crystal either. Has to be something unique that no one else will bring. wow sorry for the long post..hope someone just married or getting married can help me.

Thanks
Man with no brains!!:confused:

Have you asked your mum if there's anything particular she'd like? Presumably she's aware that you're not loaded so she's hardly going to be expecting you to beggar yourself for her wedding.

my mam and partner got married in August, like yourself it was a hard one to choose what to give them. In the end gave them cash, they were delighted with that and are using it for decorating their house. But from looking at the presents they got a really nice one was a gift card for Kellys Hotel Rosslare, it doesn't put the amount on it but says this entitles bearer to a 2 night break in Kelly's rosslare. They really liked that.

Thanks for the quick replys, Eanair I havent asked her as I'd like to get them something without having to ask them. also she's away on a business trip this week so but i will if i have to!

Pc7 my gf suggested something like that we seen a great deal for in and around €400 with a night in a nice hotel and a round of golf (which they would love) but when she went through the dates there was no fri/sat days to book. so they would have to take a day of work to use it?

what about something personalised that doesnt cost the earth - like an enlarged really nicely framed pic of the happy couple or a voucher for something like spa treatments together?

Depends on their interests too - if they are book people you could get nice first edition of something they are into, if theyre music lovers you could get vouchers for national concert hall, if theyre arty you could get tickets for some big exhibition somewhere, if theyre food lovers you could get vouchers for a swanky restaurant?

What do they like doing together?

They are members of a gym/spa type place so would have all that spa treatment stuff there.

Has anyone seen any nice photo frames? ive looked in argos/ebay/few shops cant seem to find anything nice. I dont think there much into books. Restaurant vouchers thats a good idea..can anyone name a good posh type restaurant near dub/kildare/meath area?

Newbridge silverware may do some nice photo frames.

What about an unusual restaurant experience - a Japanese restaurant where they cook the food in front of you? Or a Tapas place where they could try lots of little bits?
If they like their trad music or irish dancing you could send them to the back room of Johnny Foxes for a show and dinner, food is gorgeous, entertainment is great - and as an extra special aspect of it you could arrange transport for them so they can have a drink - drive yourself or have someone drive them.

Or something that you might not pay out for yourself but would be a lovely gift - like a seaweed wrap and full body massage or reflexology?

theres a irish holiday company that do inclusive trips like a weekend away in london including tickets to a west end show? traveldepartment.ie i think is the website.

where are then going on their honeymoon? if it is far off get them a guide book and put into it some local currency.
jobs a good un.

you say they like golf?

A night and a round in the Heritage or Druids Glen would push my buttons.....

If they are 'foodie' people what about, instead of restaurant voucher, a luxury hamper?

just popped into my head, but probably too late.

Do they have the wedding rings bought yet? You could get them handmade wedding rings.

Other suggestion is a piece of art/sculpture. I know you said that they had the housey stuff covered, but small, personalised pieces never go amiss. I still remember our wedding and the giver whenever I see the ones that we have around the house.

I had the same prob recently.
My mam and Dad supported thru a big thing this year and to thank them I got them a weekend to Rome, 3 nights B&B, flights, hotel from the Travel Dept.
It might be a bit more then what you can afford but not really by much.

they were so happy because they kept saying they wanted to go and just never got round to it!!

Its something they'll always remember, a nice weekend break somewhere that you sent them on...

will give them nice memories.

A day at the Races! Horse racing, entrance and meal for 2 for €250 at Fairyhouse or the Curragh Racecourse -
€250.00
[broken link removed]
"Ireland has a rich history of horse racing, which has been practiced over the centuries, dating back to the Roman chariot races! Now here’s your chance to take part in this historic experience with a special day at the races.
Your experience begins when you arrive at the grounds. You will receive Corporate Admission and a race card for your chosen event. Also you will enjoy a fantastic four course meal will excellent views of the racecourse with complete access to the Corporate Floor which has a full bar and tote facilities.
This experience is for 2 people."

Source - http://www.greatdaysout.ie/pp/Special_Somethings/Horse_Racing/Horse_Racing_Entrance_and_Meal_for_Two.html

If you go the giftvouchers route, consider some "oneforallvouchers" can be used in multiple department stores and retail /service chains. They are sold through AN POST offices or www.anpost.ie

I would go with a personalised gift/momento from you, her son on her wedding day, eg picture frame, piece of gensis etc. A painting of the place, that she loves/grew up/ etc

But would also get something else like a night away, what about booking a car as a surprise or helicopter or horse & Carraige (depends on tastes!) to take them to the reception or place of marriage?
Two doves for them to 'release' after cermony?

After my own wedding, getting some personal from those close to me were the best presents and they were not the ones that cost the most!

[broken link removed]

Newbridge make/supply some lovely frames. I know it's down to personal taste etc., but we were given the "mother of pearl" frame by my son and his wife, with our favourite picture of their wedding day. I see now from the site that it costs E90 - expensive enough for a frame, but it's worth so much more to me.

Enjoy the wedding and best wishes for the happy couple.

Hi, I know you want to do your best, but I think you are giving yourself too much grief. Firstly, there is not a mother or father in the world that would want to put her child into debt on their account. So, don't be worrying about getting a present as expensive as her posh friends. I'm quite sure what will make her day is the fact that you are happy for her to have found someone "good enough".

Talking of frames, TK Maxx in Blanch have some fab stuff. However, seeing as you are in Laois - Megapixels on JFL Ave in Portlaoise are doing unusual "framing" now. It's not actual framing per se. You give them a favourite photo and it's printed on canvas which is mounted on a square or rectangle timber frame, like a painting. So if you knew of a particular photo that she liked of herself and her intended, you could get that done.

Also, what I often do, is if I know where the person is going on honeymoon - in which case you do, I look that area up on the internet and book them a meal in a nice restaurant there plus a tour. So, not only is it paid for, but researched and organised and something to look forward to.

I think a personalised gift is the way to go - definitely cheaper :) Also something with a bit of thought is always more appreciated.

Back