Home What exactly is covered under the "outbuildings" cover of a household policy?.

DirectDevil

What exactly is covered under the "outbuildings" cover of a household policy?.

I am trying to sort out a query for an elderly relative who seems a bit confused about this as her policy is now up for renewal. Having read the policy document I am a bit confused too !

The property has a garage and a shed (concrete block construction). Both of these buildings are stand alone - they are not connected to the main house or to each other. They are both part of the insured property.
As I read the policy document it seems that the garage and the shed appear to be covered under the definition of buildings.

So, am I reading things wrongly or does the outbuildings cover mean something else ? Do the garage and the shed actually need to be covered under the outbuildings section or should they fall under buildings ?

Some of the confusion arises from the appearance of a separate sum insured for outbuildings in the policy schedule.

Hi DirectDevil, outbuildings are any structure built within the grounds of the property but not attached to the main building, ie garage, shed etc

Hope this helps. Bear

certain exceptions however!

If the dwelling house is part of a farm or a business premises, then the outbuildings may not be deemed part of the private house, but part of teh farm buildings or business premises.

Thanks for that information. Those answers make good sense on the basis of the policy wording I am reading.

A supplementary question arises however. What is actually covered under the outbuildings item ? There is no definition of outbuildings in the policy booklet.

The sum insured on the buildings is over €300,000 so as to cover full rebuilding costs if the whole property was wasted and had to be rebuilt from scratch. However, the sum insured on the "OUTBUILDINGS" item is only €1,000 so I thought that it might just be cover for the contents of the outbuildings or somethinh like that.

I will ask the insurers to clarify the matter but would be glad to have any other views.

Query resolved.

Buildings definition does include garage and shed.

"OUTBUILDINGS" actually means the sum insured on the contents of the outbuildings - something not readily apparent from the policy documents !

Thanks.

Back