What ever happened to sweets?

was in a shop in town yesterday ( londis I think ) and they had a rack of bags of sweets, with all the 'old' favourites in different bags. think the rack was marked -half pounders or something like that. anyway it was full of all the sweets mentioned here.

A lot of the newer and larger cinemas have those old style selections of sweets scooped up into a bag and weighed. Its still around as a concept.

For example the formerly knowwn as UGC, Cineworld located on Parnell Street.

theres a shop in the new outlet in Banbridge and they have lots of the old type sweets. mostly nuts and drief fruits and seeds etc but also lots of sweets. Julian Graves is the shop.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can get most of these sweets at the cash n carry. I used to run a sweet shop and unfortunately these sweets dont sell anymore - parents wont let their kids have wham bars anymore cos they are too hard on the teeth and the other ones just dont have the same appeal as they have to us - we were never able to get rid of them quick enough so we stopped buying them.

Does anyone remember Galaxy Secret bars? they were AMAZING. They were really delicate strands of chocolate around a kind light fudge - there was a cardboard insert to stop it from breaking. They were around about the same time as those pyramid bars - shaped like a pyramid with mint in the middle, kinda like a walnut whip with mint...

I never get offered a pear drop or a bullseye anymore. Remember those days in school where the bags of apple drops would be passed around the classroom. If they were a couple of days old you would have to pick the fluff off them before you popped them into your gob. Ahhh, memories.

before you popped them into your gob. Ahhh, memories.

...yeah - 'them' being the operative word! After 2 days it was impossible to even pick out a single 'drop' as all you had was this sticky pyramid resembling a 3D model of the molecular structure of something or other (that you were eating sweets to try to avoid paying attention to)

There's a sweet shop in the designer outlet place near Rathdowney, (if I'm honest about the only decent shop in there!!) They sell all the old favourites, cola cubes, pineapple chunks, sour apples, rhubarb and custards, toffee bonbons, strawberry bonbons, lemon bonbons, mmmm my mouths watering now!

There's a sweet shop in the designer outlet place near Rathdowney, (if I'm honest about the only decent shop in there!!) They sell all the old favourites, cola cubes, pineapple chunks, sour apples, rhubarb and custards, toffee bonbons, strawberry bonbons, lemon bonbons, mmmm my mouths watering now!

It sounds as if you spend a lot of time there, something like your local ;)

You can get most of these sweets at the cash n carry. I used to run a sweet shop and unfortunately these sweets dont sell anymore - parents wont let their kids have wham bars anymore cos they are too hard on the teeth and the other ones just dont have the same appeal as they have to us - we were never able to get rid of them quick enough so we stopped buying them.

Does anyone remember Galaxy Secret bars? they were AMAZING. They were really delicate strands of chocolate around a kind light fudge - there was a cardboard insert to stop it from breaking. They were around about the same time as those pyramid bars - shaped like a pyramid with mint in the middle, kinda like a walnut whip with mint...

Yep! Adored both of these bars! Amazing!!

Does anyone remember Assorted Tools. They were little chocolate tools - drills, hammers, etc. They were soooooo good. gone now of course. Also loved fizzle sticks.

Ah the humble fizzle stick:) - lovely - but weren't actually fizzy were they? or were they meant to be?

Not strictly on the nostalgia thing, but if anyone likes the 'gourmet jelly bean' a la jelly bellys, Lidl do a lovely bag with all sorts of flavours inside
(apple, cherry, banana, cola etc) a bit sticky and very sweet but a worthy buy for sweet tooths everywhere! :D

I remember assorted tools too :D

Does anyone remember this strange thing ? its a small plastic rocket ship with sweets inside its belly and a few noisemaking caps and you placed the caps onto the metal nose of the rocket and threw the rocket at the ground and when it landed it makes a bang!

Back