What car do I need

cremeegg

I do about 20k miles per year. All short trips in the city. Its all red lights and traffic bumps.

I have kids but we have an existing family car. This one will only ever be me on my own, possibly one passenger occasionally.

I am not a car person, my only interest is cost. Not just cheap to buy but cheap to own and run over say 3 to 5 years.

I don't care how old the car is, except obviously I don't want to be spending money on repairs.

Any advice welcome. Thanks

20’000 miles a year is 400 miles a week. If that’s city driving it is some serious time behind the wheel.
Average traffic speed for cars in Dublin city centre is 18Kmph (10Mph) so, if you are doing twice that, you are spending 20 hours a week in your car. I don’t know what time you actually spend driving but it must be considerable. Therefore you should make sure you like your surroundings; comfortable seat, good driving position etc. Even if you are not bothered about handling, power etc there’s still things to consider other than running costs.

Would thoroughly recommend the Honda Civic Hybrid. Wife got a 2008 model last year. great on fuel, low tax and a nice car to drive! She puts up a lot of miles and really likes the car!

dont get a diesel for stop start city driving, most diesel now have a dpf filter and mega bucks to replace/energize, city driving all the time would clog it up and cost to much

look at a toyota yaris good reliable motor i've seen plenty with serious mileage on them, you doing 20k a year is nothing on a small engine older ones come in 1L or never ones with a 1.3L engine

hope this helps

something German and diesel!

Reliability is very patchy to say the least. Google engine failures etc and make a decision then.

Town driving needs only something petrol. Waste of money buying a diesel. Most modern petrols are lower band B. All it needs is a bit of research.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Agree with not getting a diesel for start/stop city driving,

I'm biased...Toyota Prius Hybrid...my 520,000 kms don't lie!!

I don't care how old the car is, except obviously I don't want to be spending money on repairs.

Does that mean you're only in the market for a second hand car. If you want no repair costs you should go with a car with long warranties.

Those German owned, Spanish built, Czech cars?
Boo Hoo! Please, leave us our dreams.

Small (1 litre or so) petrol-engined or hybrid car. We had a Daihatsu Sirion as 2nd car a while ago. Good reliable car that uses the small Toyota petrol engines, small enough to be economical, just big enough to double as a 2nd family car, nice high-up driving position. Not the prettiest car out there but functional. Subaru sold a re-badged higher spec version of the car up to a couple of years ago, now that's real praise

Back