What can I actually sell with a retail versus cafe license

G

Grocer

I am looking at taking over an old bookies and turning it into a cafe. Obviously we have to engage in a change of use, but that will take 4 months and a long time to wait. What can I actually retail, fodd wise when it comes to a retail license? Coffee, cake, sandwiches, salad, where is the line?

Hi Grocer,

Welcome to Askaboutmoney

You're taking over a betting office and you want to turn it into a shop so I have to ask - why?
I would have thought running a betting office was a more lucrative proposal.
The chage of use is actually exempted from what I can determine.

The relevant legislation appears to be http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2001/en/si/0600.html

====================================================================
SCHEDULE 2​
Part 1​

CLASS 14

Development consisting of a change of use—

(a) from use for the sale of hot food for consumption off the premises, or for the sale or leasing or display for sale or leasing of motor vehicles, to use as a shop,
(b) from use as a public house, to use as a shop,
(c) from use for the direction of funerals, as a funeral home, as an amusement arcade or a restaurant, to use as a shop,
(d) from use to which class 2 of Part 4 of this Schedule applies, to use as a shop,

Part 4
Exempted development- Classes of Use
CLASS 1

Use as a shop.

CLASS 2

Use for the provision of—
(a) financial services,
(b) professional services (other than health or medical services),
(c) any other services (including use as a betting office),

where the services are provided principally to visiting members of the public.

As amended by http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2005/en/si/0364.html

Amendment of Article 5(1) of Regulations.

3. Article 5(1) of the Regulations is hereby amended by the substitution of the following definition for the definition of ‘shop’:

“ ‘shop’ means a structure used for any or all of the following purposes, where the sale, display or service is principally to visiting members of the public -

(a) for the retail sale of goods,

(b) as a post office,
(c) for the sale of tickets or as a travel agency,
(d) for the sale of sandwiches or other food or of wine for consumption off the premises, where the sale of such food or wine is subsidiary to the main retail use, and “wine” is defined as any intoxicating liquor which may be sold under a wine retailer's off-licence (within the meaning of the Finance (1909-1910) Act, 1910), 10 Edw. 7. & 1 Geo. 5, c.8,
(e) for hairdressing,
(f) for the display of goods for sale,
(g) for the hiring out of domestic or personal goods or articles,
(h) as a launderette or dry cleaners,
(i) for the reception of goods to be washed, cleaned or repaired,
but does not include any use associated with the provision of funeral services or as a funeral home, or as a hotel, a restaurant or a public house, or for the sale of hot food or intoxicating liquor for consumption off the premises except under paragraph (d), or any use to which class 2 or 3 of Part 4 of Schedule 2 applies;”.

Other legislation is involved too and you should explore these issues as well as the potential range of uses you envisage with your local planning officer.

One word to the wise - ensure there are no existing rates to be paid on the premises you are intending to take over.

If there are, you will be liable to pay them.

ONQ

[broken link removed]

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal and building professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matters at hand.

Back