What book are you reading...

Am reading once again " Queen bee Wanna be", it gives a fascinating insight into the lives of young girls and how they view their peer groups , how they interact and why they do so with a certain group/s..very informative.

Currently reading The Dark Tourist by Dom Joly - it's a bit low-brow so wouldn't be a for a lot of you intellectuals.

Joly was brought up in Lebanon in the 70s and decided to visit other places which wouldn't normally be on a tourist's most popular destinations. He visits Iran, US (to visist assassination sites), Cambodia, Chernobyl, North Korea and somewhere else I can't think of.

It's quite good, funny in parts and sad in others (especially the chapter about Cambodia). Some bits in the US are incredible, such as his detention in immigration because he had been in Iran and is from Lebanon, and the part in Dallas where he is chased from the Book Depository (from where Oswald shot JFK - allegedly) because he tries to take a photo from an adjoining window.

Zamoyski's books look good. Which ones would you recommend?

Sorry for the delay in getting back.

1812 is a fascinating account of Napoleon's ill-fated attack on Russia, at times I felt there were too many first-hand accounts included, but that was outweighed by so many of them being amazing.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Holy-Madnes...=sr_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1290776804&sr=1-9

Holy Madness was more an overview of the whole revolutionary movements in Europe (and worldwide) but very interesting too. I'm hoping to start Rites of Peace in the New Year (when I've finished the book you recommended).

Just finished the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society, a light read with some interesting historical references.

Currently reading the complete Sherlock Holmes with prints from the Strand magazine , might take me some time - over 1400 pages , a snip at euro 8.50 in Waterstones.

I have Johnny Giles autobiography in reserve , the best player I ever saw in an Irish jersey.

Just started Any Known Blood by Lawrence Hill. His "The Book of Negros" was one of the best I've read in a long time.

Just started 'Richard M Nixon - Life in Full' by Conrad Black. There are still a few copies on sale in the discount bookshop on Merrion Row at €7.99.

Currently reading The Dark Tourist by Dom Joly - it's a bit low-brow so wouldn't be a for a lot of you intellectuals.

Low brow? depends what you mean I suppose but I'm surprised - Dom is a clever guy.

Don't get me wrong - the book is great

But in comparison to books about the French and/or American Revolutions and Napoleon fighting Russia it's quite low-brow.

I recently finished reading 'Brooklyn' by Colm Toibin.

I was surprised that I enjoyed, if that doesn't sound perverse. I am usually wary of books that have been nominated for literary awards; I'm more low-brow than that :p. But, I enjoyed the pace and the style of Brooklyn and finished it in a couple of days.

Loved this book, have never read any other Toibin books but this was recommended to me by a few people. Like you, I read it in a few days...totally engrossed.

Loved this book, have never read any other Toibin books

I think he's brilliant.

Read The South and The Heather Blazing a good few years ago and loved them - particularly The South, which I think was his first one.

So many underrated exquisitely lyrical and evocative Irish authors - William Trevor is another. John McGahern too.

I recently finished reading 'Brooklyn' by Colm Toibin.

I was surprised that I enjoyed, if that doesn't sound perverse. I am usually wary of books that have been nominated for literary awards; I'm more low-brow than that :p. But, I enjoyed the pace and the style of Brooklyn and finished it in a couple of days.

I also LOVED this book it was so unputdownable.
I only found out this week that Joseph O Connor is Sinead O' Connor's brother.......never realised. What a talented family.

I'm reading "Brooklyn" at the moment. Keeping me awake far too late !

I read Heather Blazing and The Blackwater Lighhouse as well. All very enjoyable.

Actually forgot to mention - I have The Master by my bed (that's a book by Colm Toibin, not a hired S&M guy) but haven't picked it up in a few months. Can't really get into it unfortunately.

Back