Wescot Credit

BillK

Don't know if this outfit, who are based in England, operate in Ireland or not.

I received a letter from my bank this morning stating that they would not action my request for a standing order to made paying Wescot Credit £30.00 per month from 01/10/06.

I have no dealings with this outfit who are a debt collection agency and, have no debts, no credit cards, no mortgage and I did not try to set up a standing order in their favour as there was no reason for me to do so.

The letter from my bank included my account number, sort code etc.

The only people to whom I gave my sort code (which identifies my bank branch) was the bank's call centre when I called a few days ago re a new savings account that the bank was offering.

I believe that, without the bank's vigilance, the £30.00 per month is such a small sum that it is quite possible that I would not have noticed it going out.
I Googled this company and found the following site (one of about 10 pages of sites): http://www.clik2complaints.co.uk/august/02.html

Another site [broken link removed] includes an entry which says "I went to the bank today and discovered a direct debit had been set up with them to take £47 out of my account for the next 96 years..........the best bit is that I didntset this direct debit up so they must have got my details from somewhere else."

My bank are retrieving the original request for the standing order from their Peterborough Centre.

Check your statements closely and frequently.

It was my own bank's call centre in India. The info re sort code and account number is required before they will tell you anything.

Incidentally the savings account pays 8% gross fixed for two years. Maximum you can save per month is £250 but it will mount up.

It was my own bank's call centre in India. The info re sort code and account number is required before they will tell you anything.
Is that all they need? If so that's crazy since those details are available to anybody to whom you have ever written a cheque for example!
Incidentally the savings account pays 8% gross fixed for two years. Maximum you can save per month is £250 but it will mount up.
What account? Bear in mind that GBP£ accounts will be subject to currency fluctuations and UK interest rates are higher due to other economic factors.

Not just that; there are various security measures which must be fulfilled before you can make progress with a query.

It'a monthly saver account with LloydsTSB and you must have a LloydsTSB current account to fund it by standing order. Not, therefore, likely to be of much use to Irish residents (except those with UK connections) but I added the info for interest. Pun intended.

Report in the Daily Mail today about staff of call centres in India selling customer's bank details for £5 a time. Doesn't mention LloydsTSB but makes me wonder.

Back