wedding

B

brianfm

Hello all,

A friend of mine has announces their engagement and is planning on getting married in late 2006/07 in the Tralee area. Now i know you could make a whole forum out of weddings but they are just at the planning stages and are looking for general advice and info. The would like (ie can only afford) a standard wedding so it will not be anything too fancy, like most other people, they would like to keep costs down. So my questions are:

what is a general list of the costs involved for the day?

Does anyone have other advice on either keeping costs down or just how to make the whole planning/event less stressful.

all opinions and adivce is welcome,

thanks.

B.

The would like (ie can only afford) a standard wedding so it will not be anything too fancy

There is no such thing as a "standard wedding".

If money is really a barrier then they would need to take big decisions to do something different from the standard fare. But it never ceases to amaze how people do not skimp on weddngs when there are real financial issues in the realtionship.

Here's me 2.5p's worth

Marry abroad and take no guests
+ honeymoon included
- Fewer pressies

A trend I see recently is to hire a restaurant and only take 30 or so guests.
+€60 x 30 €1800, not as easy for snobs to compare with Mary's weddin'
- no dancin' and reduced family fights

A trimmed down version of a big wedding, lets say the most modest meal deal, no drinks reception, no photography, no stupid vintage car, source flowers direct from market reduced number of flower kids, best men women
+ It's reduced but still very €€€
- Opposite to the above as it is very easy to compare with "so n so's big day" and to be fair is almost impossible to keep a lid on the expenses as they will no doubt be sucked into the whole event management vortex.

The forth option is really along the line of the first but do something completely different that better reflects their personalities something unique. If they are hill walkers do it on mount Brandon, or scuba divers in The Marharees the Aqua Dome or whatever .... This option is the most memorable, potentially the cheapest most fun and the most hassle. If they are not off the shelf people this could be a lark
OH and their parents will HATE the idea

Best of luck and congratulations

A trend I see recently is to hire a restaurant and only take 30 or so guests.

That's what we did. No regrets. We also told people not to buy us presents but they insisted.

Hello all,

A friend of mine has announces their engagement and is planning on getting married in late 2006/07 in the Tralee area. Now i know you could make a whole forum out of weddings but they are just at the planning stages and are looking for general advice and info. The would like (ie can only afford) a standard wedding so it will not be anything too fancy, like most other people, they would like to keep costs down. So my questions are:

what is a general list of the costs involved for the day?

Does anyone have other advice on either keeping costs down or just how to make the whole planning/event less stressful.

all opinions and adivce is welcome,

thanks.

B.

Hi B

not only could you make a whole forum out of weddings...you can make 3 (and thats just the irish ones:) )

www.weddingsonline.ie
www.confetti.ie
www.simplyweddings.com

Weddingsonline is by far the busiest and full of useful cost saving tips (thats where I spend most of my time with 8 weeks to go).Our wedding is costing €10K for 70 guests and thats not pushing the boat out by any means!

There are no limits to the amount of money you can spend but there are a few ways to save money including
buying the brides/bridesmaids dresses online from the US.
DIY stationery.
DJ instead of a band
No vintage cars - get someone with a decent car to drive.
Cake - buy in Marks & Spencer - no one will know the difference

Thats all I can think of at the moment. The number of guests & choice of venue will push the costs up

I hope for your sake its on in Ballygarry House - by far the nicest wedding venue in Tralee, especially if the weather is good.

Back