Water Leak

W

Whitehead

Last week water leaked from my apartment down to my neighbours apartment below. I got a plumber in fix the issue straightaway as neighbour was complaining.

According to the plumber, the leak was due to water pump damage caused by the builders during installation (this was almost 6 years ago) and it was only a matter of time before this problem would arise. Details have been reported to management company for processing (no assessor has visited either apartment yet). I have yet to look into the block policy insurance and HomeBond terms and conditions - a couple of questions before I do my research:

1. Would the damage to my water pump be covered as part of the HomeBond? I'm guessing it wouldn't be as HomeBond primarily covers structural damage. I could try to follow up with the builder, but I feel I wouldn't get too far with them as they have moved out of the site a few years ago. I have the old damaged pump. I have already paid the plumber but was hoping I could get some of money back.

2. The fact that pump was damaged during installation (versus natural wear and tear), would it be covered by block policy insurance?

3. If I cannot claim anything for getting pump fixed, my neighbour's water damage claim may/will be below the excess amount on the block insurance policy. Presume I would be liable to pay for damage to his apartment as well (along with paying to fix my pump, which will work out expensive for me), correct? There was no other damage done to my apartment, apart from new pump installation.

I guess the management company will get back to me soon on these issues, but just looking for a second opinion on things.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Back