Washing machine problems.

Washing Machine problem

Our whirlpool washing machine, about 3 years old, is destroying our cloths. It is leaving scummy grey streaks on a lot of the cloths, and they are hard if not impossible to remove. We never had this problem with our previous wm, which we bought 2nd hand and had for 9 yrs. We had the engineed out & he said it was a problem with the length/level of the outpipe, he showed us the gunk in the pipe. He cut the excess from it, told us to do the occasional wash at 90C to shift any residue, and to use less powder. All sounded okay, but has made little or no difference.

Does this sound like a valve is not working properly and allowing this stuff to wash back into the machine. Any ideas?

Re: Washing Machine problem

Is your external drain clean and clear flowing, if not water could be backing up? There could be a blockage further down, due to fat/ grease from kitchen etc.

We had a slightly similar problem with our last machine although no one ever mentioned about the outpipe. Little flecks of what looked like chewing gum appeared all over the clothes. They dried off though and could be lifted away.

When we got the new machine the problem disappeared. The old machine was a Whirlpool top loader. I regularly tried the 90 degree wash which only helped for a short while each time it was done.

Maybe a root thru these might give some help:

www.washerhelp.co.uk/
www.wm1.com/
[broken link removed]

Yeah, as Carpenter says, check your drain and ensure that it is running clear. I had a drain problem earlier in the year and caught it just in time. And when I went to clear it, I could attribute a lot of the gunge to washing powder residues (as well as to a lot of other horrible stuff). From then on mrs h was being watched every time she filled the powder cabinet!! So to save yourself additional hassle, lift the AJ and have a look.

Washing Machine Repair person

Anyone know a good washing machine repair person in Galway area ?

Re: Washing Machine Repair person

No problem. No connection, but they're established and know their stuff.

Mouldy Washing Machine....

Hi,

I just got a washing machine out of storage...i.e. my parents shed....and the seal is mouldy. Its black spotty mould and most of it has come off with a cloth and some clenaing products, however there is some on the inside of the seal that is hard to reach. I was hoping that it might come off if I put on a boil wash and that would sort it out. Would that work or do I need a new seal? Is a new seal expensive and would I be able to fit it myself?

Re: Mouldy Washing Machine....

It's is quite normal to find some mould/ mildew staining on the rubber seal, particularly on an older machine. You are advised by manufacturers to wipe the seal after each wash to remove standing water and to leave the door ajar. In your case I'd just give the seal a wipe with soapy water and run a hot wash- the mildew won't affect your clothes in any future wash cycles.

Re: Mouldy Washing Machine....

Great, that's the answer that I was hoping for. I didn't know you were supposed to wipe down the machine after each wash either....every day's a school day! Thanks for your reply.

Broken Washing Machine

Machine will not spin at the end of the wash like it use to, does anyone know of good person who is also fair with his price who would call out to a house please let me know cheers, only 2 years old but out of warrenty

Re: Broken Washing Machine

Have you checked the filter and drainage pipe connected to the machine? My mothers machine struggled with a spin cycle and it turned out the waste pipe was totally blocked. In this case the waste pipe goes from the washing machine outlet to a sink drainage

Filter is ok, so what is best way to check drainage pipe, ie can it completely come off the machine and then I could flush something throught to make sure it is clear, ie Zanussi 1200 make or what is the best way to check cheers

stobear said:
Have you checked the filter and drainage pipe connected to the machine? My mothers machine struggled with a spin cycle and it turned out the waste pipe was totally blocked. In this case the waste pipe goes from the washing machine outlet to a sink drainage

Erm, sorry for the delay. In my mothers case I disconnected the pipe from the connection under the sink, I could see the blockage in the pipe without removing the connection from the washing machine end (which I think is probably inside the machine). I used a coat hanger to loosen the blockage and ran a spin cycle, which helped dislodge the blockage into a bucket. I ran it again once it was cleared just to make sure

This can also be caused by the filter getting blocked by some object which may have fallen out of clothing while being washed. On some machines, you can access the filter on the bottom of the front panel and clear it.....

Just a question , is the machine draining out the water.
Firstly it drains the water and then goes into spin cycle.
You just said it doesn't spin , but is there water still in the machine.

Could also be carbon brushes on motor are worn down.Symptoms are drum not turning during wash and/or spin?
It starts from poor wash/spin to none at all.
If this is the problem, set of brushes cost about Eur20 and can be fitted in less than one hour.
In my DIY experience, most faults have turned out to be worn brushes.

if the water drains out and still wont spin it could be that small pieces of clothes (underwear, socks etc.) have got in at the side of the drum and are in under the drum in a ball and block the drum spinning.

Take off the drainage pipe get a flash light and put it in the machine and use a clothes hanger to "fish" out the offending sock via the drainage pipe opening.
I have had this several times with the kids bibs, socks, knickers doing this, the cause is overloading the machine.

Ran the machine empty and spin worked, tried with clothes and spin would not work, took hose off under the sink blew into a few times no luck, so am I right in thinking it is the hose at the other end that might be the problem, is it recommended to take this off and blow again, cheers

Back