Washer-dryer recommendations

WorstPigeon

I've currently got a Zanussi ZKI245 integrated washer-dryer which seems to be on its last legs; the motor makes a funny noise, and it's started making noises on spin which I think may be the early stages of bearing failure (from watching Youtube videos). The drum also occasionally hits the door during spin. Not sure how old it is, as it was there when I bought the house, but I'm thinking that it's probably not going to be economical to repair.

So, I'm thinking of replacing it. It looks like there are more or less 3 price points for integrated washer dryers; Indesit/Hotpoint/etc at ~500, Zanussi/Electrolux at ~750, and Siemens/Bosch at ~1000. Are the Siemens/Bosch ones worth the extra money over the Zanussi ones? I'm willing to spend it to get something that'll last.

The alternative would be to get an integrated washing machine, and get a free-standing condenser dryer. The only place I'd have to put the dryer would be the spare room, though, which is carpeted. Is it okay to put these on carpets?

I have an electrolux w/d for over 8 years now - I did have to get if fixed a couple of years ago and it was within the 5 year warranty so was free of charge. Mind you I use the dryer very occasionally. Obviously the combo machine are not as good as a standalone dryer but it does the job!

Are the Siemens/Bosch ones worth the extra money over the Zanussi ones?
I don't think so.

I would go for Electrolux with a 5 year parts & labour warranty. I'd also be inclined to opt for separate washer and dryer where possible, unless use will be light. I don't imaging carpet being an issue with the dryer, just empty the water tank as required and clear the filter periodically.

Can you put the dryer over the washing machine. Can't see a problem with it on carpet. Never had a dryer so not sure what type is best to buy. I'm too mean to pay for the electricity in case anyone is wondering. I did buy the two in ones washer/dryer for tenants though. Seemed to work fine. Usual brands. No idea why machines have so many programmes, the max I use is four.

I don't think so.

I would go for Electrolux with a 5 year parts & labour warranty. I'd also be inclined to opt for separate washer and dryer where possible, unless use will be light. I don't imaging carpet being an issue with the dryer, just empty the water tank as required and clear the filter periodically.

Wasn't aware of the 5 year warranty on Electrolux. The only Electrolux machines I can find online seem to have a 1 year labour 5 year parts warranty...

I have a freestanding Electrolux washer and a dryer, both with 5 year parts & labour. Perhaps they were on promotion. freestanding dryer and freestanding washer have 5 year parts & labour. Other freestanding, integrated and combo Electrolux seem to have 2 years parts & labour, on the Powercity website anyway.

Looks like the Bosch ones are too deep anyway; extra 4cms on the Zanussi/Electrolux. Anyone recommend a place to supply and install integrated machines?

Back