Was self-employed, now entitled to nothing?

X

Xity

Hi

I was a PAYE worker from 1997 to the end of 2006, I paid all my PRSI, taxes etc as you do.

I left the PAYE job and became a sole trader/self-employed (via a small agency) from the end of 2006 to the end of 2008 when the work finally ran out, still paying all taxes and making the appropriate PRSI contributions during that 2 year period, so currently all my tax affairs are up-to-date.

Earlier this year I applied for jobseekers allowance and was told at the end of the means test process that I’m not entitled to any SW payments, nor to sign for credits. I haven't worked since Dec 2008 but have been constantly job seeking since then.

My questions is, how after paying taxes etc for the past 11+ years, am I not entitled to ANY SW benefits?. Of my limited knowledge in this area, it doesn't seem to make sense, I'm not flush with cash nor am I struggling to make ends meet, but I ask myself what is the benefit to me NOW, for making all those contributions for the past 11+ years.

Later I range SW just to check if I missing out on any other entitlements and they said I'm not entitled to anything, but suggested I ring Revenue to investigate any tax refund entitlements. They also suggested that I could make voluntary PRSI contributions while I'm job searching, to ensure it doesn't affect my prsi credits history, well that just sounds like peeing more money down the drain.

Does anyone have any advice/thoughts on this?

Thanks for reading this anyway.

The voluntary contributions are towards building up enough stamps for your contributory pension at age 65 or 66.

Thanks for that guys

I paid 8K+ towards PRSI\Health Levy \TRS in the past two years as a sole trader, does that account for anything re: SW entitlements?. It was job seekers allowance which I applied for and was unsuccessful.

Tx again

Thanks again Jaybird

I'll look into any tax back entitlements, sure why not.

Based on all those contributions I look forward to a nice state pension in the next 35 years or so !, although maybe not with the current bord Snip nua proposals.

Best regards

Back