Wallpaper removal stickly glue redisue remains

helsbells

Hi all, im hoping somebody might be able to help ....

We are doing a spot of decorating in our hallway, and my hubby has very kindly removed the wallpaper. We are now left with lots of sticky old glue residue. We plan to paint the walls, but we need to remove the old glue first. I popped into my local diy store, who recommended a sugar solution. it does work but its very tedious.

Just wondering if anybody knows of any way to speed up this process (aside from getting the pros in :) )

Thanks in advance.

Does anyone know the answer to the OP's query?

I have met the same problem where the wallpaper was stuck on to a painted wall and the glue seems to have reacted with the paint and has left a very sticky mess on the walls after the removal of the paper.

It would take an awful long time to scrape it off. We are thinking we might let it dry out for a few days and then sand it off with an electric sander?

If anyone knows a quicker/easier way, I'd be grateful to hear from you! :)

Thanks!

we had the same problem recently- we washed with sugar soap and steel wool-- THEN after it was dry- sanded it thoroughly -then washed it again with sugar soap- seems to have got rid of most of it--havent painted yet mind you- we'll see......
Good Luck!

Hi Cibby, thanks for that - I'll try with the steel wool, and hope it comes off.

Already tried with a pan scrubber, but it made no impact at all - the stuff is soooo sticky.

I'm helping a friend to decorate a bedroom for someone coming out of hospital so we need to get the room finished and all the furniture back in by Tuesday at the latest - so fingers crossed it'll work!

Thanks again.

Howdy, I moved into a house that was heavily wallpapered and stripped it myself and made it ready for painting the sticky paste that remains is just that its wet paste that has been reactivated by the wet sponge or brush you used to soak the paper ready for stripping.
To get rid of this I just washed down the walls with a good quality sponge and plenty of sugar soap wasn't much elbow grease involved and then walls were given a few days drying time.
Make sure to turn the power off while working with water near any sockets or switches.
For stripping wallpaper use warm water and a mix of vinegar instead of buying wallpaper stripper from the diy store as the vinegar does exactly the same job by breaking down the old wallpaper paste.

Good Luck ;)

HI All... took a different approach to same problem... moved into a house and paper was ridiclously hard to move, so ended up taking down the plaster boards and replacing them... brand new walls then! a bit drastic but great effect!

HI All... took a different approach to same problem... moved into a house and paper was ridiclously hard to move, so ended up taking down the plaster boards and replacing them... brand new walls then! a bit drastic but great effect!

:eek: Well you learn something new everyday here :D

Back