waiting time to hear back from solicitor

helen osullivan

hello I was in touch with a solicitor recently about a matter first time using a solicitor I was talking to the secretary and told to srnd my problem to them via email which I did what would be an acceptable time to wait for a reply ? thanks

I would venture to say that you shouldn't bother with a solicitor who won't return your call or email in person in 24 hours.

Sounds odd to be told to send a query by email.

But they should respond promptly - Sorry we can't help you or call you to discuss further.

Brendan

One would have to wonder if you are left waiting a week for a reply to an enquiry of this type how long would it take for them to deal with it when they know they have your business already.

hello I was in touch with a solicitor recently about a matter first time using a solicitor I was talking to the secretary and told to srnd my problem to them via email which I did what would be an acceptable time to wait for a reply ? thanks
Why not email your query to 3 or 4 convenient solicitors.

From those that reply promptly, their response might help in deciding which one you would be happy to go with.

the thing with that is that it's a tricky situation regarding adverse possession that firm came recommended as expert's not sure where to go afterwards

I'd imagine that the reason the secretary asked for an email as she was struggling to understand and explain the matter back. I would now send a polite chaser email asking them if they'd have a chance to consider the matter. In fairness, given that they can be in court etc, they are not always as proactive in responding as other businesses are.

It's a much more efficient and cheaper option compared to the alternative of faffing around on a phone or zoom for perhaps the better part of an hour trying to establish the facts behind what will probably be a complicated situation.

OK. So it's a bit like askaboutmoney where someone asks a question with only a few bits of information whereas much more would be needed to answer it properly.

The solicitor could judge whether they want this person as a client or not. But they should reply promptly.

Brendan

I would have expected to be told "we don't have capacity" or else receive a reply within 3 days. That has been my experience - I got quite a few " we don't have capacity" responses - perhaps not a big enough fish for them

OK. So it's a bit like askaboutmoney where someone asks a question with only a few bits of information whereas much more would be needed to answer it properly.

The solicitor could judge whether they want this person as a client or not. But they should reply promptly.

Brendan
Hi Brendan

No, a professional's primary obligation is to their current customers and their needs, not to unsolicited speculative enquires from people whom they don't even know.

Any business should treat their customers or prospective customers with basic courtesy and respect. Answering an email promptly is certainly such a basic requirement. I receive frequent unsolicited emails from people looking for services that they think we provide. If I can't help them I will reply promptly, certainly within 24 hours, declining and usually suggesting another company which I think would better suit their needs.

Hi Brendan

No, a professional's primary obligation is to their current customers and their needs, not to unsolicited speculative enquires from people whom they don't even know.
Agree but very few business will tell someone they don't have capacity.

So instead of telling them, prove it by not replying to their emails.
It seems to be an Irish thing and not just confined to certain professions either. People seem to find it hard to tell a person that they won't be taking on work instead just don't communicate.

It drives me mad to be honest. I'd prefer a person to give an outright no for whatever reason.

It seems to be an Irish thing and not just confined to certain professions either. People seem to find it hard to tell a person that they won't be taking on work instead just don't communicate.
There's no indication here that this business will not take on the work. There is every indication that they're extremely busy - unsurprisingly so as they've been specially recommended to the OP as having specific expertise to handle a particularly difficult issue.

There's no indication here that this business will not take on the work. There is every indication that they're extremely busy - unsurprisingly so as they've been specially recommended to the OP as having specific expertise to handle a particularly difficult issue.
Time will tell

Back