Volvo S40 v's Citroen C5 - which one?

They are supposed to be fantastic but the diesel one is a 2.2l. Like I can afford the insurance and tax on that!!!!

Like the S40 myself but have heard it described as a suped-up Focus as its built on the same platform and/or engine (?).

Both have bad resale value, especially the Volvo. Wouldn't touch either with a barge pole.. lean towards vw/audi/bmw

I don't agree larry1.

Big French have has some of the lowest retained values, and I expect a C5 to perform considerably worse than an S40 in this regard.

VW are overpriced and have some enormous servicing costs. None too reliable in certain guises either. Seen as a premium brand when in reality they are not.

Audi/BMW are even more overpriced.

Just my opinion btw.

RS2K said:
I don't agree larry1.

Big French have has some of the lowest retained values, and I expect a C5 to perform considerably worse than an S40 in this regard.

VW are overpriced and have some enormous servicing costs. None too reliable in certain guises either. Seen as a premium brand when in reality they are not.

Audi/BMW are even more overpriced.

Just my opinion btw.

Interesting debate RS2K, what would you go for in this class, what represents the best all rounder?

Carpenter said:
Interesting debate RS2K, what would you go for in this class, what represents the best all rounder?

Good point - I think my range of cars is increasing instead of decreasing - AGH!

That compuounded with the fact that I can't sell my opwn priivately now means I'll have to trade instead of going to UK!

Sometimes you wish someone would just hand you a car and say "there you go - off you pop now!"

Carpenter said:

Personal view only, but I'd avoid big French cars, irrespective of pricing, equipment, & comfort. 407 is the best of them.

If he's buying new, he's going to get hit, both on his trade in value, and depreciation on the new car.

No car is immune from that, even Mercs and BMW's. The "cost to change" one of these for a new one after a couple of years might shock some people too.

I reckon the ideal answer is for him to sell his own privately, and buy a fresh used car.

If it has to be new I'd go for a V50 of those mentioned.

Off topic but I sold my car last night, and will be ordering something really silly later on today :D I benefit from a manufacturers employees scheme, which makes these things financially possible.

Ned_ie said:
Good point - I think my range of cars is increasing instead of decreasing - AGH!

The 1.6D in the Volvo & C5 are the same unit.

FWIW the Mazda 3 1.6D also uses this engine. Have you considered it ?

Also, how about the 1.7D ISUZU engine that is used by GM in Astra & previous model Honda Civic ( sold in UK & N.I. )

BTW .. Does the new Civic come with a diesel option ?

Why not look at the scoda range ? I have a 1.9TDI for the last few years and really love it, space not an issue, great engine and runs on fumes (60 miles per gallon). The new range TDI have a 140bhp model, fully loaded, leather etc. for < €30,000.

It's a no brainer (Just get over the badge issue)

Skoda name is still a bad one, despite people talking it up.

Terrible resale values abound too.

Back