Volvo S40 v's Citroen C5 - which one?

Ned_ie

Am in a bit of a quandry!

Had planned on getting a 05 S40 1.6D - the obe with teh full leather etc etc. Was looking at other 1.6 diesels (focus, C5 and 407) but had pretty much decided on the S40.

That is until yesterday when I took both out for a test drive! Now I'm not sure which to go with. Both are fantastic drives. The C5 has a good bit more boot room etc but am not sure whether it will retain it's value as good as a volvo.

Any one got any advice for me?

Thanks

Funny - just been looking at similar chttps://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/showCarCalculatorars for my wife albeit petrol ones, a 1.8 s40 se versus a 2.0 accord. s40 is great to drive and the spec is superb, but felt that the interior and boot space was quite limited so went with the accord - if the boot space isn't a big issue then I'd definitely go the s40.

I would also imagine the s40 would have a much better resale value than the citroen - you'll get a good idea by doing a VRT enquiry on one year old versions of both and compare the two - https://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/showCarCalculator.

M

The boot space might be an issue as we are planning to have a few sprogs!! - possibly even this year. Know what you mean about the space in general - felt quite cramped in the Volvo.

Unfortunately - have just found out that the spec that is in the C5 that I drove has only just been brought out thus meaning that I won't get one with all the leather trimming in an 05 model!

The Volvo is a bit smaller, but it will hold value.

C5's depreciate so fast it's not funny.

The Volvo is just a tarted up Ford Focus while the C5 is actually in the class above that again so is more comparable against the Mondeo size wise.

Price wise they are in the same bracket of course as Volvo is a premium brand.

I'd take the C5, but only because I like Citroens and space is important to me.

The Volvo looks nice but I just can't get past paying that much for a tarted up Ford.

If you're going to be putting baby seats into the car then you need to pay attention to the leg room in the back seat.

Also you need to have a reasonably large boot if you want to take push chairs and high chairs and travel cots and all the other stuff that kids "need" these days if you are going anywhere. Try that stuff and then luggage for even a weekend break in an S40? I struggle with an Octavia and it has a massive boot.

Ned_ie said:
The boot space might be an issue as we are planning to have a few sprogs!! - possibly even this year. Know what you mean about the space in general - felt quite cramped in the Volvo.
Ok - then I wouldn't consider an s40 , we just had a baby and thats the reason we discounted it, we had a golf and according to the brochures the s40 only has 7 extra cubic litres of space.

M

Ned_ie said:
So what did you go for in the end?

05 Accord Sport - its a 2 litre petrol , very nice to drive and good interior and boot space. Probably not for you as it looks like you want a diesel , we don't do enough miles to justify one.

M

Am still in a quandry though! really like both cars so have no idea what to do!!!!!

the onl;y thing is the 05 models around are nearly all the old style. plus the engine is a 1.9 diesel. I am looking at the 1.6 of the Volvo and Citroen

A friend in work had a C5 and hated it, absolutely hated it, he moved on to a honda accord and sings its praises. Personally I think the accord is a great car, apparently honda have made millions of this type of engine and not had even one recall, now that's impressive.

Back