Voluntary Redundancy @ 60+

Magpie

I'm trying to get information to help a family member make an informed decision about accepting voluntary redundancy.
Person involved is ealy 60's and is concerned at the prospect of never working again. Are there FAS courses or similar for people of this age? Redundancy payout would be small and Jobseekers could be claimed for 1 year...but what about after that? Spouse is on a private pension.

Concerns are that if voluntary redundancy is rejected, compulsory seems likely with even lower payout, and all of the same issues.

Can anyone advise what we should be considering and where to look for information?

thanks

Don't know what area your friend is in but the chances of working again in general at that age is slim in the present jobs market. I would be a few years younger and short of a miracle have pretty much resigned myself to not getting a job again. Out of work 18 mths or so, benefit has run out, no Fas courses or anything like that available to suit unless wanted to do something like ECDL. I don't think in general employers are interested in experience and when the people interviewing are normally years younger I feel age is a disadvantage straight away. Had another interview last week, waste of time again, have only had half a dozen or so but sick and tired of them at this stage.

I understand your friend is afraid compulsory redundancies may be at a lower rate but they will have had the advantage of the salary until then and the structure and outlet that a job brings.

With regard to sw payment your friend will be able to get jobseekers benefit for 312 days after that your friend can apply for jobseekers allowance which is means tested...any capital (this includes property but not ppr) >€20,000 will be assessed and spouses pension will also be assessed for means. While on jobseekers your friend can apply for courses available from FAS.

Back