Voltage USA

M

mel21

Can anyone tell me, is it necessary for me to buy a transformer to increase the power output to devices when I travel to the USA?

I have things such as phone charger( low power) to hair dryer (30W). I've been told that the voltage is lower in the US so when I plug in say my hair dryer it will barely work as there won't be enough power output to it.

If I buy a transformer it will increase the power out put to it, but my question is do I really need to buy a Transformer or do you think the power there is sufficient to power electrical devices coming from Europe?

Power is not the issue. Voltage (and to a lesser extent frequency) is. Irish voltage/frequency is 230V/50Hz. US voltage/frequency is 120V/60Hz. See [broken link removed]. Unless your devices are rated for both you will need a step up transformer (or a step down when going in the other direction). The wattage of the device is irrelevant other than perhaps to the rating of the transformer. Phone chargers are often universally rated but you should check. Other devices may or may not be. If you are staying in a hotel they normally have hairdryer for guests in case that's of any use. It's hardly worth lugging a step up 110V to 230V transformer away with you on a trip to be honest.

Back